Wavedance cascade / Aquayak scout.

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Wavedance cascade / Aquayak scout.

Post by Gozz »

How you going guys.
I did a bit if a search on these two yaks which seem to share the exact same hull and pretty much all of them had stabilizers on them.
I they really that unstable.
The reason I'm asking is cause I'm thinking of buying one and fishing the bay on nice days but I'd like to know if they will handle the chop if the wind blow's up.
I own a kingfisher and a echo and find the kingie very stable and the echo not to bad for lakes, so where would you guys rate the cascade/scout.
Thanks.
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Re: Wavedance cascade / Aquayak scout.

Post by yakgear »

Gozz one of the lads here has a scout and swears by it.. Do a search for scout... And then if your really keen I can get a discount off them from the factory about 10 or 15 %
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Thanks again mate, and thanks for the offer on a discount.

I noticed explorer has a scout so I sent him a pm but if anyone has any info I would love to hear it.
kads

Post by kads »

I originally wanted to buy a cascade from wavedance, and the owner down there actually advised me NOT to buy the cascade because it is pretty unstable, he said it has something to do with the hull shape and he dosent really know what is wrong with the hull to make it unstable, but he said to me to buy the sierra because it is way better for stability....so there you go...straight from the mouth of the guy who owns the company.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

kads wrote:I originally wanted to buy a cascade from wavedance, and the owner down there actually advised me NOT to buy the cascade because it is pretty unstable, he said it has something to do with the hull shape and he dosent really know what is wrong with the hull to make it unstable, but he said to me to buy the sierra because it is way better for stability....so there you go...straight from the mouth of the guy who owns the company.
Thanks mate.
It's funny you say that Kads cause when I bought my kingie the bloke there said the same thing to me, I forgot which model he said but your post brought back memories.
I got to say the little echo(same as sierra) I bought the other day is a little ripper and very stable for a 2.7mtr yak, I was giving it a hard time going as fast as I could and slaming the paddle in to do a power turn and I felt safe and stable.
I have fitted some home made plugs for the scupper holes cause I had water coming in but now 100% dry.Very happy for $200.
So maybe I'll give the cascade / scout a miss and keep looking.
Man it's hard to find a good all rounder 3mtr kayak. :roll:
Thanks again.
Barracuda
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie quest 13 , Aquayak scout

Post by Barracuda »

Hi guys,
I have owned my scout and am fairly happy with it although I have had my moments. The scout is rated to carry 150 kg and I am only 80kg which has proven problematic as the yak has a central keel that I believe needs to be pushed far enough into the water to be then supported by the outer rails that would provide a better feeling of " initial stability", this is my opinion only! In the 6 months approx I have owned this yak my skills have improved greatly and I now feel very comfortable onboard, however in the beginning I was very nervous about capsizing.
I have tried outriggers that worked very well but created alot of drag especially in a headwind, sinse ditching the outriggers ,I have persisted with the scout and things have improved, I believe because my skills are getting better.
Also experimented with a divers weightbelt bent into shape that fits neatly between the scupper tubes( inside the hull secured in place) and this has really given a greater sense of stability.
I am really happy with the speed and tracking of this yak , this may be due to the central keel design, however I would recommend that before you purchase, you should test paddle one first,
The old saying , "act in haste, repent at leisure" is very true so do your research and dont asume that all yak hulls are the same, just my 2 cents worth!
Cheers.
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Post by yakgear »

Outriggers should not create drag if installed properly.
They need to be parallel to the forward movement and then placement on the water, I prefer to have them just off the water, so when paddling they are off and offer stability if I rock the boat ;) and if I stand my weight (outriggers) installed on front of yak ) drops the bow enough for outriggers to contact water line.
(the sell)
The yak-gear outriggers have adjustable height settings to allow for height levels and user weight levels..

Good to see your enjoying the scout..
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Hey guys.
I ended up buying a mini x copy from ebay and I have to say it's amazing.
Very very stable and fairly fast for a 2.7mtr and it turns on a dime.
It has 4 flush mount rodholders and 1 scotty type rod holder.
I had the kids on it and they where not scared at all like they are on the echo.
I don't mind the echo cause I'm a 100kg the large chine is well under water and it's fairly stable but no where near the new one.
Barracuda
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie quest 13 , Aquayak scout

Post by Barracuda »

Hi guys,
In regards to the mini x , this is what probably have bought, hindsight is a wonderful thing however my reason to not persist with the outriggers was purely too much stuff I was taking to the beach, and the complexity and weight etc of the outriggers., and yes they did slow me down in the chop!
I now prefer to take 2 rods, small container of plastics,small net and thermos.when eventually upgrade the yak, I would consider either malibu x 13, stealth 12 or revo 13/11.any of these provide fast, stable and efficient fishing yak.
But hey...each to their own!

Cheers.