Transporting Hobie Oasis

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Re: Transporting Hobie Oasis

Post by herbie »

Ideally you should tie off at both ends.

Tying off at the back will help stop the yak sliding forward in an Accident and the front strap assists in stopping updrsft as others have said.

If you can weld then make up a rear bar as kads suggeted, otherwise, rhino and others make a loading bar which you can get t most roof rack shopd
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

I have a Hobie Oasis that I put on an Xtrail and I use one of the Rhino T loaders that fits on the tow hitch which I use to support the kayak at the rear. I don't use the loader for its intended purpose as it doesn't slide past the various mounts etc very well at all when loading. Easier to put on from the passenger side I think anyway.
I have the kayak upside down on the roof rack while travelling with 2 straps on the hull and one to the front of the nudge bar. Haven't had any issues transporting it this way.
When I next have it on the roof will take a photo of it :up:
hurring
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2016 Hobie Oasis (olive)

Post by hurring »

Excellent, with all these answers I think it might be safe to go the X Trail for the next purchase. I have got a couple of months to make up my mind before lease change over. Really appreaciate all the advice and comments, very helpful :D . Big decision and want to get it right so everything works well.

Adrian
aspen
The force is strong in this one
kayak: White Mystique

Post by aspen »

i have a hobie oasis and a nissan xtrail with factory roof racks rated to 80kg. I transport the oasis upside down, loading it with a rack n roll. You have to tie the front and back down if you are travelling long distance at high speeds. for short distance i dont bother.

my advice, use after market roof racks that are slightly longer than the nissan xtrail - that way you can fit more than 1 kayak if you need to, or have other stuff on the roof rack.. i belief thule branded roof racks are the best for the x-trail. I was looking at the thule slipstream system and seems like that would be a good option. too bad i already bought the factory roof racks...
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

As per Aspen's comment with the stock Xtrail racks you will only fit 1 yak on the roof. Keep forgetting to take a photo when it's on the roof. Too busy getting ready to fish :oops:
hurring
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2016 Hobie Oasis (olive)

Post by hurring »

Thanks All

I finally picked up my new X-trail TL diesel, I got the Thule slide bars. It sits upside down nicely and I tie it down at the front to the nudge bar. Does not move. Will have it on the roof next week hopefully so I will post a pic then. I have only carried it once and had a mate help load/unload. Next trip I want to see how I go doing it by myself and will get him to watch and stop and drops if it looks like happening.

cheers

Adrian
enigma
Apprentice
kayak: Don't

Post by enigma »

More than happy to have a brew in hand watching you unload the sucker all by yourself!!!!! :up: :up: