Mo's Battleship Viking Tempo II

Show off your kayak!
stooders
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Mo's Battleship Viking Tempo II

Post by stooders »

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and have been looking around to see what kinds of yaks people are using. There are some really interesting craft out there.

The topic of engines on kayaks is an interesting one. It looks like the people you spoke to at VicRoads about registering your yak, shouldn't really be working there because they don't know what they are talking about. About 12 months ago, I taped a segment on this topic for the TV show, River to Reef. (Did anyone see it? I haven't met anyone yet who has! - so much for my TV career)

In Victoria, any vessel fitted with a motor capable of propulsion, is deemed to be a powerboat and must comply with all powerboat regulations (rego, boat license, pfds, safety gear, lights etc.). It doesn't matter whether the motor is petol or electric. So, if you operate with the motor fitted, you are in a powerboat. If you operate without the motor fitted, you are in a kayak.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

stooders wrote:In Victoria, any vessel fitted with a motor capable of propulsion, is deemed to be a powerboat and must comply with all powerboat regulations (rego, boat license, pfds, safety gear, lights etc.). It doesn't matter whether the motor is petol or electric. So, if you operate with the motor fitted, you are in a powerboat. If you operate without the motor fitted, you are in a kayak.
I believe and I am happy to be corrected, tenders to larger boats are exempt.......I just don't think I could convince anyone my yak is a tender to the stinka.... ;)
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

You don't need rego or a licence for a boat with an electric motor.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
stooders

Post by stooders »

Hi Maverick. Tenders are interesting too. They do attract some concessions from powerboat rules and the Yak could qualify but then you are restricted to using it within 300m of the mothership.

Bilby, I'm not sure where you are getting your information about rego and electric motors from, but you have been misinformed. I'd hate to see anyone ordered off the water or fined by Water Police just because they didn't know the rules. Call Marine Safety Victoria on 1800 337 222 if you want this clarified. Craig
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

There was a write up in one of the fishing magazines stating that the fitting of a electric or petrol motor to a kayak means that the kayak will have to be registered and you may have to have a boating license. When I bought mine from Neil at Geelong K&K I asked him if this was right and he replied, yes!
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
bilby
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bilby »

I always thought that if the boat /vessel went under 5kn (10km) rego and licence weren't required, and thats how boat hire places get away with daylight hours (rego only) and no licence required.
Bloody rules, i'm taking up knitting.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Can you knit me a new PFD? :lol:
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Yuz
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revo, of course :)

Post by Yuz »

There was a talk about getting cyclists to pay rego... not long now, we'll have to pay for/rego kayak and boat licenses :x
stooders

Post by stooders »

The 5kt rule exists in NSW but has never been adopted in Victoria for Recreational boats. You are right about applying the system to hire boats but they are Commercial vessels and treated very differently. Stooders
bilby
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bilby »

Thanks for the info mate.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460