The evolution of VYAK

Our policy and site announcements(Upgrades/migrations, etc)
wembas
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Feelfree Moken

Re: The evolution of VYAK

Post by wembas »

OK - heres what i really think...

I think we are talking about a split in the ranks around the merits of sponsor support and competitions - and using the formation of a club as a guise.

Dont allow commercial interests to split our forum. Just go fishing and have a beer afterwards and swap stories about how annoying it is that Rhino catches all the fish. :P
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

Jeez...

Are some peeps reading a bit too much into it?

I dont really care about the sponsors. (This is probably just due to my fishing ability)...But I'd bet they would be more comfortable dealing or being in bed with a registered organisation rather than just an internet forum.

I'll be arsed If I'm comfortable with a site admin here finding themselves open to litigation because someone hurts themselves.
No one should be facing personal financial ruin because they organise a group day. IMO that is completely unacceptable and is the most important issue.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

wembas wrote:OK - heres what i really think...

I think we are talking about a split in the ranks around the merits of sponsor support and competitions - and using the formation of a club as a guise.

Dont allow commercial interests to split our forum. Just go fishing and have a beer afterwards and swap stories about how annoying it is that Rhino catches all the fish. :P
Ok in a nutshell there is no secret agenda Admin have been worried for some time if somebody is hurt on a V- yak organised day Admin can be sued there is only one name on the title to v-yak so even the mods can walk away.
We are offering the people what want to form a club the chance to do so who runs it who sponsors it is completely up to them we don't give a ### there is no one pulling the strings V-yak is and always will be for the people that want to talk about Yaking and such so please stop reading more into it than there is over and out.....
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Gazza wrote:I'll start a vote that stuff the comps and just go fishing with a some mates!!!

1 Gazza
2 Mingle

Gazza
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

mingle wrote:
Gazza wrote:I'll start a vote that stuff the comps and just go fishing with a some mates!!!

1 Gazza
2 Mingle
3 Vikodin

Gazza
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

I'm in no way attacking the admin team here I think you guys have done a wonderful job and have built the best forum possible.
I also think your motives for this are genuine and looking out for the interests for the forum.
I am simply expressing some concerns and worry an associated club with club mentality will affect the VYAK image and its friendly welcoming vibe.
This forum is the only one I have ever felt comfortable contributing to because of the friendly community vibe and helpful nature of the members here, I just hope that vyak doesn't turn into just another forum.
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

vikodin wrote:I'm in no way attacking the admin team here I think you guys have done a wonderful job and have built the best forum possible.
I also think your motives for this are genuine and looking out for the interests for the forum.
I am simply expressing some concerns and worry an associated club with club mentality will affect the VYAK image and its friendly welcoming vibe.
This forum is the only one I have ever felt comfortable contributing to because of the friendly community vibe and helpful nature of the members here, I just hope that vyak doesn't turn into just another forum.
That will never happen we all care about this forum and will protect it any way possible.
neilmny
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter 2010 (Yum Yum)

Post by neilmny »

My opinion is leave the forum be.....a fantastic place to exchange ideas, show off fish that are caught, offer up information about fishing spots, etc.etc. and basically crap on about kayaks and kayak fishing in Victoria.

I should state that I personally have absolutely no interest in comps......but thats me.

I am a Johnny Come Lately non clubby person but feel strongly enough to suggest starting up, a seperate from the forum, Vyak competition fishing association for those that like/love competitions.
For me I find competing against the bloody fish hard enough :wtf:

With respect to costs to run the forum....add a Paypal button and let people donate what they can afford if they can afford it like a lot of other forums do.

This forum is an outstanding meeting/sharing place like a lot of other forums (I have other hobbies/persuits)............. don't fix what I can't for the life of me see as broken :(
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

Good discussion ..
My 2c ,

If you want to start a club go for it , go and set up your club and become a commercial member on this site to try and recruit members , upfront I won't join .
I am part of this as a forum to engage and communicate with like minded people . If that means we meet up and fish great that's between us and at our risk . I understand that the mods need to keep vyak separate from these meets and that's fine also . As I have pointed out this is a forum not an association, if you want to be part of a club there has been many fishing clubs who have expressed interest in supporting a yak section some have taken up this opportunity others have not .
I do believe that we need to look at this again as simple as this, its is a fishing forum and that's what I love about it ...

I join proper run comps run by organizations that may or may not offer specific yak divisions and am happy to continue fishing these at my choice. Such as ABT, tee tree comp , bream classics , cod classics and many more .
If people want to approach clubs or associations and promote through this medium I would appreciate this more and have the choice to see what's available .
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

This is a great place with or without comps.

I'm not a believer in catching and stressing fish for a competition so comps are never of interest to me anyway.

Once again the curse of no win, no fee litigation rears it's ugly head! To think I once studies legal subjects and considered becoming a lawyer....at least I have my self respect still. These parasites have changed our country for the worse.

Digger