Diving with seals The Prom

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Diving with seals The Prom

Post by Digger »

DOMINATOR wrote:There was a time during the dive where it seemed all of the seals were between me and the shore like they all of a sudden didn't want to venture out. We were pretty safe on the bottom it is when u are sitting on the surface is the problem

Safe sitting on the bottom? Dream on!

Though many attacks happen on the surface but not all of them.

Are you likely to be attacked...no.

Are you more likely to be attacked swimming with seals? Yes!

I think when you are dealing with an animal like a GWS and in it's environment, there is nothing that you can take for granted.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Thanks Dom for the great video & post.
Melb cup weekend at Wilsons Prom has been a long tradition for many Victorian Dive clubs.
Great to hear it is still happening.
Must have been a great dive.
I dived with seals many years ago at Number 10 Channel marker in PPB and also once at seal rocks off Phillip Island.
But never at the prom.
Your video & post makes me want to get back in to SCUBA diving.
Rob.
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback

Post by DOMINATOR »

Digger wrote:
DOMINATOR wrote:There was a time during the dive where it seemed all of the seals were between me and the shore like they all of a sudden didn't want to venture out. We were pretty safe on the bottom it is when u are sitting on the surface is the problem

Safe sitting on the bottom? Dream on!

Though many attacks happen on the surface but not all of them.

Are you likely to be attacked...no.

Are you more likely to be attacked swimming with seals? Yes!

I think when you are dealing with an animal like a GWS and in it's environment, there is nothing that you can take for granted.
were aLot safer on the bottom as it was reefy there were holes everywhere (shark wouldn't be able to get u) up on the surface is where u have nowhere to go and the shark doesn't have any obstacles to contend with (only what u put up)
ANYONE NEEDING A FULLY LICENSED AND INSURED ELECTRICIAN CONTACT DOM ON 0409135701
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by DOMINATOR »

Jacko wrote:Thanks Dom for the great video & post.
Melb cup weekend at Wilsons Prom has been a long tradition for many Victorian Dive clubs.
Great to hear it is still happening.
Must have been a great dive.
I dived with seals many years ago at Number 10 Channel marker in PPB and also once at seal rocks off Phillip Island.
But never at the prom.
Your video & post makes me want to get back in to SCUBA diving.
Rob.
That was only a fraction of the video had 40mins. Yes the dive clubs been going there for years not sure of it was late 70's early 80's. I have dived with seals in the bay at china mans hat and through the heads along with the fist dive at the Prom and nothing has come close to this experience. Get your ass back in to the water....
ANYONE NEEDING A FULLY LICENSED AND INSURED ELECTRICIAN CONTACT DOM ON 0409135701
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Not saying you are not safer on the bottom than you are on the surface, but you have to come up at some time.

All I was trying to say was that if you are in the water, or on it in a yak then thinking you are safe is not right. However the odds are with you.

However they reduce with certain activities.
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by DOMINATOR »

Digger wrote:Not saying you are not safer on the bottom than you are on the surface, but you have to come up at some time.

All I was trying to say was that if you are in the water, or on it in a yak then thinking you are safe is not right. However the odds are with you.

Everything is a risk it is about reducing the risk. During the safety meeting we were told if u do encounter 1 make your way up to the rock sitting in the holes till the shark passes pull yourself up on to the rock and we will come and get u off the rock.

I definitely felt a lot safer on the bottom than I did on the surface.

Digger I am a big believer in if its your time its your time. When are you ever safe? statistically a lot more unsafe driving to the Prom
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

Top video Dom, thanks for sharing mate. I did swim with the seals near sorrento and they are amazing creatures to swim with :up:
Praz
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

DOMINATOR wrote:
Digger wrote:Not saying you are not safer on the bottom than you are on the surface, but you have to come up at some time.

Everything is a risk it is about reducing the risk. During the safety meeting we were told if u do encounter 1 make your way up to the rock sitting in the holes till the shark passes pull yourself up on to the rock and we will come and get u off the rock.

I definitely felt a lot safer on the bottom than I did on the surface.

Digger I am a big believer in if its your time its your time. When are you ever safe? statistically a lot more unsafe driving to the Prom
I agree but certain activities like diving with shark fiood increase the risk and I avoid them, but that's just me Dom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VAf63iWTM

I was supposed to be on this dive (1964) and my mates pulled this bloke out of the water and stopped the bleeding. This is why I'm toey about diving with seals.

You'd have to be a bit unlucky to be attacked by a shark according to the statistics and you waste good opportunities if you allow fear to control you. However I was really just saying that you don't want to think you are safe anytime while you are in the water. There have been a number of attacks in mid water and on the bottom.

Anyway I'm only jealous now that I'm now too old to dive having been a SCUBA diver from my 14th birthday, so good on you for enjoying your diving mate!
mat
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Adventure Island

Post by mat »

Great location Dominator....I took my A.I. down to the same joint ...fun joint. I had 50 seals following me around the island there..hehe.
fine firm friends in franga