My really cool, very new, portable gas Smoker.

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: My really cool, very new, portable gas Smoker.

Post by maverick »

brett73 wrote:Must ring and see if it can be jetted for natural gas. Do you think it wold do jerky
I would ring Hark and ask them, I assume it would do jerky but I have never tried.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Yakatack wrote:Silky Oak, Red Box and Black Wood,
Dave I would be careful about using Blackwood and possibly the Silky as well. Blackwood is a known irritant, especially the dust. I know they're shavings that you've got, not dust, and you'd be burning them but it's worth looking into further IMHO.

Have a look at the table on page 2 of this PDF for a start http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/species ... Safety.pdf
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

maverick wrote:
brett73 wrote:Must ring and see if it can be jetted for natural gas. Do you think it wold do jerky
I would ring Hark and ask them, I assume it would do jerky but I have never tried.

Hark replied to an email I sent them, "no Hark do not have jets for Natural Gas, it would have to be completed by a Licenced Gas Technician, They are only approved for bottle gas. A 9kg bottle will last about 75 hours."
brett73
Square eyes
kayak: hobie PA

Post by brett73 »

Thanks for that Mav. Got gas on at home for the barby so don't have a bottle. Would prefer to get an electric one before I'd go back to bottled gas.
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

brett73 wrote:Must ring and see if it can be jetted for natural gas. Do you think it wold do jerky :?:
There are recipes for jerky but it just mentions using the electric one.
I would think it would make great jerky Brett. I have great success with venison jerky just air dried in a flyscreen box with the meat hung on bamboo skewers. so smoked would be yum
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
CaptMorgs
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: "Golden Papaya" Revo

Post by CaptMorgs »

brett73 wrote:Must ring and see if it can be jetted for natural gas. Do you think it wold do jerky :?:
There are recipes for jerky but it just mentions using the electric one.
Hi Bretty,

I make biltong regularly, but just use a drying box, pretty much the same method that Cotso mentions. Mine differs a bit as the box is more sealed but does have vents in the bottom and top. The smoking would be good, but with no heat, then let the meat dry naturally after. Depending on how long you want to smoke the meat for you may need to cure it first..

I might chuck up a tread on how to make biltong (jerky) sometime, it's the South African of jerky and in my opinion it tastes better.
Cheers

Morgs
rayso
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Adventure Island

Post by rayso »

If you can get on to some tuna it smokes up a treat and goes very well on dry bickies with a touch of mayo and consumed with copious amounts of beer.
It's more fun doing it on a yak and even more fun with a sail
0429 622004
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Forgot to mention I smoked some middle rasher bacon recently, marinated in brine and maple syrup - best result every. Cold smoked for 5 hours and then up'ed the temp for another hour.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Also be careful about using ironbark, it was the only timber the white ants wouldn't eat when I was a lot younger and helping a farmer build fences in the Northern Territory.
Yakatack
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Ebay cheepy and a Spirit

Post by Yakatack »

I doubt whether a eucalypt would be harmful Larry.. But I culd be wrong.