torquay quickie

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
blinky
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback

torquay quickie

Post by blinky »

launched at fishermans beach this morning. had been fantastic conditions and visability all week, so i was hoping that it would hold today. unfortunately it hadnt. the swell was up and vis was shocking. i peddaled towards point impossible hoping to see some change in vis but wasnt to be. I dropped anchor anyway and jummped in quickly but it was just too shitty. to be honest i got the heeby geeby's and got out real quick. so i up anchored and headed back out wide towards fisho's. over the next half an hour on my way back, i had about half a dozen odd soundings that was something very big swimming through. its the biggest arch i've ever seen on my sounder. no idea what it was but im glad i didnt try and push my luck staying in the water. i hate diving in bad vis, my mind is hard to settle. in this case im glad i gave in to my fears and stayed out of the water. if i had a run in in such poor vis i would have pooped my pants no matter what it was, seal , dolphin, ray or shark.
besides that fun i did meet a couple of friendly hobie yakers back at the ramp who gave me some good tips on the area. :up:
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: torquay quickie

Post by maverick »

We didn't even get wet diving today at Flinders, swell was way up so played it safe. :roll:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: torquay quickie

Post by Jacko »

X2 better to play it safe.
Today was not the day for diving despite the forecasts & predictions.
Drove to Flinders, took my yak off the roof racks & set up my dive gear in anticipation of a couple of crays.
After meeting Mav & his dad at the back beach we watched a few sets roll in & they convinced me the swell was up & the vis was low.
Repacked the car & went for a walk along the Flinders jetty instead then drove home via Dromana & Mornington.
Despite not getting wet it was nice to get down to the peninsular again.