Cocos Keeling Islands

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
joffarob
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14 Dune

Cocos Keeling Islands

Post by joffarob »

I was fortunate enough to spend a week on Cocos Islands a couple years ago and using a cheap borrowed underwater camera got some video and photos that has been sitting idle for a few years and Rhino's Barrier Reef Video inspired me to do something with it.

I put the below video together using my wife's computer with Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

The Cocos Islands would have to be one of the most stunning places I've visited and all off the footage was taken from land based dives (Snorkeling) from West Island. I have included some information about Cocos Island below for those that aren't familiar with it.

The Territory of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, also called Cocos Islands and Keeling Islands, is a territory of Australia, located in the Indian Ocean, southwest of Christmas Island and approximately midway between Australia and Sri Lanka.

The territory consists of two atolls and 27 coral islands, of which two, West Island and Home Island, are inhabited with a total population of approximately 600.

The Cocos (Keeling) Islands consist of two flat, low-lying coral atolls with an area of 14.2 square kilometres (5.5 sq mi), 26 kilometres (16 mi) of coastline, a highest elevation of 5 metres (16 ft) and thickly covered with coconut palms and other vegetation. The climate is pleasant, moderated by the southeast trade winds for about nine months of the year and with moderate rainfall. Cyclones may occur in the early months of the year.
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Re: Cocos Keeling Islands

Post by MrTall »

Awesome footage.
Thanks for sharing.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

I'm going to be showing the Mrs this mate...with luck I might be able to convince her we need to go there for a holiday...stunning :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
joffarob
Square eyes

Post by joffarob »

Thanks Dave

yakhangger wrote:I'm going to be showing the Mrs this mate...with luck I might be able to convince her we need to go there for a holiday...stunning :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You would love it Merv, I only got to see a fraction of it but have every intention to get back one day with the misses, will have to wait till girls are old enough to stay home cause they will be cowering in the corner once they seen the size of the crabs :lol: would also love to spend some time on Christmas Island as well.
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Nice Vid!
Thanks for the post
Brings back a few memories, i lived there for 12 months, beautiful spot :thumbsup:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Great vid, thanks for sharing.
Had me thinking the whole time how long a bait or lure would last before something grabbed it :lol:
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Great footage, amazing what a place without heavy dredging and netting can look like.
joffarob
Square eyes

Post by joffarob »

Yacker wrote:Nice Vid!
Thanks for the post
Brings back a few memories, i lived there for 12 months, beautiful spot :thumbsup:
That would have been real hard to leave and come back to the real world.
vikodin wrote:Great vid, thanks for sharing.
Had me thinking the whole time how long a bait or lure would last before something grabbed it :lol:
Had a light travel rod, and had some great fun with it, you could cast from the couple jetty's or just wade in a couple feet on the beeches and get fish, you could see massive GT's just swimming up and down the jetty! Had to be careful wading and fishing cause soon as you got a fish on the reef sharks came in from everywhere. At one stage we had a dozen in a feeding frenzy chasing a small fish that we may have teased them with a little. (This was off the jetty)
ratfish wrote:Great footage, amazing what a place without heavy dredging and netting can look like.
Truly an untouched place, I've been to Fiji a few times and can't recall even seeing a coconut being on the ground long enough to regenerate, this was very common all over the island.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Nice video Geoff - Thanks for sharing
blinky
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback

Post by blinky »

wow looks like paradise. loved the stills in the video so we could have a good look at the details on a few of the fish. good job