Fish finder in Hobie Mast holder

Show off your DIY project!
Bigyakka
Square eyes
kayak: 2010 P.A a sexy dune one

Re: Fish finder in Hobie Mast holder

Post by Bigyakka »

Used to have mine there in the revo and it was awesome, easy to reach and see :D
78.5cm, 5.5kg Snapper Sunnyside, 59cm flathead safety beach, 56cm Salmon safety beach, 60cm Snook Black Rock, 34cm King George Whiting Oliver Hill, 38.5cm Bream Patterson River
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Post by fishsmith »

Bigyakka wrote:Used to have mine there in the revo and it was awesome, easy to reach and see :D
Agree bIG g
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Thanks guys,
Got to Ch smith looked at the Bird and then the Lowrance and walked out with a Eagle???
Easyfish 350c colour screen, I suppose the clarity won me over rather than the specs.

Just going through the pains of installing.
So far I have extended the power cable, just picked up a box from the big hardware
Getting to the point if I will get a 1" drill splade and drill through the Gunnel to put a 1" bung for the wire.
Still chewing on this one ( as I obviously do!! :shock: )
Nothing more foriegn than drilling holes in your ride !!
Let alone the gooly Gunk stuff, might leave that till monday. If I don't go out and terriorise some Rickett's Reds
Thanks again
Last edited by Mordy on 01 Sep 2010, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
seasquarie
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2 X Hobie Outbacks

Post by seasquarie »

G'day Mordy, noting that you are well into the install, I will keep this brief. I used a aluminium tube (Bunnings) that fitted the internal diameter of the mast sleeve. I cut a hole through the mast sleeve and a matching one in the tube so I could route the cable up through the middle of it and out the top. I put a pvc elbow (elec conduit) to a t-piece and mounted the sounder on top. This solved the issue of having to stretch to cahnge settings. See attached pic. No need to drill holes in hull following this method.

On the flip-side...I have up-graded to a colour sounder/plotter and side mounted it since the plotter requires constant tweaking whereas the sounder didn't.
Good luck.
Attachments
2xpinks.JPG
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Thanks mark, good solution.
Where have you mounted your new finder?
I was looking at one of the guy's Pro Anglers and they have these Mounting boards that go along the top of the gunnel.

Great idea drill as much as you like, run wires under it to the front hatch, and if you ever resell just replace the mounting board.
Wouldn't be that hard to to jigsaw some cutting board for an Outback solution.

State of play the glue has set, just waiting for the weather to ease so I can play pretend yakking on the grass and find
the best place for the sounder.
Thanks
Tony
seasquarie
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2 X Hobie Outbacks

Post by seasquarie »

Hi Tony,
The new sounder is on the right hand side next to my knee on a 'RAM' mount. Heaps of blokes use them and they are very handy. See pic attached
Attachments
Shoalhaven flats.jpg