Outback centre hatch

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
jamie2johnston
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie 2012 Outback - Red

Outback centre hatch

Post by jamie2johnston »

Hey gents, wondering if anyone keeps their tackle boxes in their outback centre console ? if so does it work well, if not why ?? Thanks
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Outback centre hatch

Post by laneends »

In the quests which are a similar set up (except shallower) I dont use a bucket or anything like that in the hatch, I have zip tied 2 pool noodles across the hull inside. One across the mid scupper tubes and the other across the seat scuppers. This creates a compartment within reaching distance then just use small assorted tackle boxes loose in the hull. The noodles stopping them sliding out of reach. This gives more storage than a centre bucket or even a cut down flexi bucket some use. It also means you can easily see if water is getting in the hull and ability to sponge or pump it out if it is.

Just make sure you close it when not accessing so any waves that may swamp you dont get in (quest is lower so more important)

Also means if you do tip it you aren't going to loose any tackle.

crate out back mainly stores anchor/drift chute/bailing pump. Dont store any tackle boxes there. The less you have to twist around to see what you are grabbing the better

Front hatch has a soft eski type cooler bag in the with top cut off. Underside of lid is lined with polystyrene sheet with a sheet of polythene stuck over. This creates and easy to access cooler section in which I chuck a couple of cooler blocks. The hull can get warm otherwise in summer. Being soft walled cooler rather than bucket means it is bigger and can be pulled aside to access storage in front and behind.

Any areas of hull not used for storage are stuffed with pool noodles so that if there is a hull failure it wont sink completely

Problem is having all this storage causes you to take too much S#!^. Keep meaning to weight it all one day.
gus fitzroy
Lord of the fish
kayak: revo 13

Post by gus fitzroy »

Great tips Keith.
doddsj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2009 Hobie Outback

Post by doddsj »

Jamie,

If you do a search on this subject there are a lot of solutions that members have worked out for both the Centre and fron Hatches.
Something not often mentioned is that if you are using small plastice tackle boxes you can use Velcro to attach them in various places on the yak.

Cheers,
Steve.