Southern PPB

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Southern PPB

Post by mazman »

Hi guys I haven't fished anywhere that has any real tidal flow as yet and was just wondering what the flow is like around this area of the bay (portsea-sorrento). I have fished bg and had no problems but there wasn't a huge flow here.
I am asking because i am looking at getting into some of the bigger squid that are down there but am unsure of what i should do regarding managing my drift and making sure I don't end up no where near where I want to be.

Cheers Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Southern PPB

Post by laneends »

sorrento/blairgowrie squid are found near the moorings where flow is not hard, if you move out to the channels it picks up, but thats not where the squid are. As PPB opens wide quickly flow is not too bad once you get away from the entrance
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Like Keith said, the stronger tidal flows are out in the channel where is can easily get around 5km/hr. In closer there can still a bit of tide flow in some of the deeper areas where you will find squid. For these areas you will need to use bigger jigs or go to a paternoster if you want to fish the deeper more tidal areas - as this is where the bigger squid will be.

The shape of the bay on the east side means there are relatively large areas of squid ground away from the main tide flows in the channels. If you get across to the Queenscliff side you will find there is more tide flow close to shore due to the shape of the channels and proximity to the RIP.
0408 565 763
mazman
Lord of the fish

Post by mazman »

thanks guys, I've got 3.5 deeps and some 4's to through around. what sort of speed is the tidal flow through the moorings around portsea?
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I think Portsea is ok but that is a subjective opinion. It comes back to experience and capacity to pedal/paddle against the current. Also, make note of the tidal range - the larger the range the stronger the flow. Best to try to work around slack water at Portsea, which is = to low tide at Williamstown (approximately).

If you time it right it makes an easy trip towards the heads and back again, but seriously the heads are generally not a place for kayaks.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
mazman
Lord of the fish

Post by mazman »

Thanks maverick where does that no go zone for yaks start in your opinion?
my thoughts were to fish it on the rising tide so if i do drift away it'll be into the bay not out of it. just wanted to know if i was being to ambitious or not.