Waterproof Phone Pouch

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Waterproof Phone Pouch

Post by Hvalross »

Sorry to hear Lifeproof did not work for you. Had this one five years now. Been immersed, wet, hot and frozen - almost...and fallen out of a tree.... I live on a small farm and it has to cope with some pretty rougb treatment..........its kept the old iPhone 4 going...........I must have just lucked it.........added...........read the footer.

Cheers
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Tried various types, biggest issue was when answering phone screen goes blank so I can't switch to speaker. Now I have a z1, fits tightly in a just size ziplock, end folded over and installed back in its leather flip case.

Not perfect but best solution so far
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Kingo wrote:They seal so tight that the person talking to you on the phone hears themselves echoing and can't hear you
Yeah I had to get rid of my Lifeproof case because people were complaining that they couldn't hear me properly. Pity about that, because it certainly saved my 5s from damage owing to 2.5hrs on the heavy cycle in my front loader washing machine. :o
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Zip lok bags suck - they leak in the bay from experience.
Being on the farm etc is not the same as being in the bay/sea.
I'll see if I can grab a basic waterproof phone I can swap the sim with when I go out.
I'm still going to have a waterproof floating handheld VHF just in case ( rather be prepared).
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Yako wrote:Zip lok bags suck - they leak in the bay from experience.
Agreed only reason I use one is because the phone is supposedly water proof anyway, and the bag is folded it under and clamped shut in the phone case. On their own you couldn't rely on them.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

I am starting to think I bought a freak Lifeproof.......

Long story short, when all else fails....read the instructions...my motto......and here is how I did it.

so,
First read the instructions (this time Consumer Law), Lifeproof make a number of claims, under Aust Consumer Law you can just keep going till you get what you paid for, which is what I did..
Second read the instructions...... in the disclaimer on the pack it says to test for leaking BEFORE trusting your phone in there......EXACTLY what I did and I exchanged till I got a non leaker.
Third read the instruction refers back to One, When I got the non leaker I tested it for voice and sound.... I have lousy hearing and a quiet phone would be no good to me....trials revealed faulty assembly of parts both speak and hear. Took a few goes and Seller was a tad frustrated by the end but I have a Lifeproof that performs as advertised. The moral of this is that Lifeproof have crap quality control, it took a LOT of effort and DETERMINATION to get a good one....agree with general comments that really is NOT good enough, with their claims each one should be 100% off the shelf.

I can put my phone under water, dial, select apps read BOM etc... Above water dry or wet, hear calls just fine and in five years no one has said I am not speaking properly.

Just filled the sink with cold water, removed the phone, and did a leak test 5min immersion...dry
Put the phone back in and no leak, turned it on and off, selected apps etc.under water..........

( and called a friend...........he said sounds like you are talking under water, whats wrong?.....(joke) :yahoo:

However, having said that I have looked at a genuine under water housing for using the camera.......cant make calls or any other function with THAT item.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I have a cheap pouch from ebay, it was around $5 from memory. When I got it I put some paper in it a left in water overnight to test that it had no leaks. It's also been it's also seen action twice and worked as it should. Personally I don't trust it for an emergency though so I've got a PLB and I'm planning on getting a VHF radio soon.
R3dY@k
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Heritage RedFish 12

Post by R3dY@k »

I've got a pouch from Kmart - super water tight and only $2, the extra bonus for me was that it fits my Samsung Note. I've tested this with using it underwater for extended periods.

As for any serious adventures I put my sim into a Telstra Dave - Android phone with tough body and screen, IP67 out of the box.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

R3dY@k wrote:I've got a pouch from Kmart - super water tight and only $2, the extra bonus for me was that it fits my Samsung Note. I've tested this with using it underwater for extended periods.

As for any serious adventures I put my sim into a Telstra Dave - Android phone with tough body and screen, IP67 out of the box.
Good idea. I'll look into that model. I asked a bloke at Harvey Norman this week and he laughed at me when I asked.
Where did you get yours from?
I also picked up myself a Uniden MHS127 VHF handheld just in case ( my philosophy - More relevant safety gear the better).
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

R3dY@k wrote:I've got a pouch from Kmart - super water tight and only $2, the extra bonus for me was that it fits my Samsung Note. I've tested this with using it underwater for extended periods.

I had one of those and thought it was great then one day the top separated from the bottom when popping the phone in, pouch split aat fold over. Phone dropped on the floor and cracked screen :down: