Safety Concerns

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Re: Safety Concerns

Post by Smish »

maverick wrote: Only flaw I see with that is that flag's are not mandatory, so I have every legal right to pedal my yak without one. (not supporting one or the other arguement - just observing)
Condoms aren't a legal requirement either, yet people still use them.

I generally erect a light pole on my yak anyway, may as well add a little protection. :D
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Many moons ago I almost got cleaned up by the local fishing charter boat at Apollo bay ,did I have a flag no ,could a flag made a difference perhaps ,the thing is since that incident a flag is on my yak most times and touch wood there haven't been any near misses since then
mob 0423 492 759
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

Post by Nello »

its better to look at preventing something, rather then looking for a cure after it has happened.
that's why we have vaccines to prevent against so many diseases and conditions, I'd rather have the peace of mind of protection, instead of thinking "I could be more at risk, but it'll be ok because I can get cured after the incident" however in the case of being hit by a boat that isn't necessarily true.
although a flag may not 100% protect you from getting hit by dickheads, it sure as hell cant hurt, and if it saves one yakker every year, then that's one more person who gets to go home to their family.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Those times you were seen from afar and hence kept well away from you will never know about. If that boat who nearly ran you over saw you when they were a km away thats more time they have had to be aware you were there, even if they are distracted. Some may get distracted for a few moments, but unlikely to travel a km or so without looking.

Bottom line is there are no arguments against it, when in open water
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by greggo »

All of my fishing is with lures, this means lots of casts. A flag, rod, or anything sticking up at the back of the yak gets caught up in the back-cast, especially in the wind.
I dont fish the bays much so it's not much of a concern to me, but when I do fish the bays, I wont use a flag.

Under current regulations it's my choice, but if it comes to a vote, I'll be opposing it.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

How do you travel (direction wise ) when it is windy?

Most given we are talking open waterways will travel with or against the waves.

Waves generally follow the wind direction so do flags, I use mine in the bay but do believe they are not always that visible to moving watercraft due to the direction your vessel approaches waves.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Post by BKA »

cotso wrote:Why not just paint your paddle blades blaze orange and wave it around above your head. Higher than a flag and moving then put it away when dangers gone. Another thing worth thinking about with a flag is if you're at anchor and a boat approaches from directly upwind or down wind your flag is about a millimeter wide and hardly more visible than the stick its on.
Agree about the paddle blades. Many of the boaties at my local Angling Club have said they've spotted me on lumpy water by seeing my moving paddle (white blades) glistening in the sun well before they could see my flag, myself or my yak. Now every time I'm anchored up and a vessel appears to be heading straight towards me, whether the water's lumpy or flat, I just pick up the paddle and go through a simulated paddling motion until any potential danger has passed. In regards to flags, one of my fishing mates has a Hobie and the tiniest red flag I've ever seen yet I can always spot his flag well before I spot him or his yak. So, for me, paddle and/or flag are the keys to greater visibility.
Note: Disregard the above if fishing at night :evilgrin: and have a good lighting setup on your yak instead. :up:
Cheers.
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

greggo wrote:All of my fishing is with lures, this means lots of casts. A flag, rod, or anything sticking up at the back of the yak gets caught up in the back-cast, especially in the wind.
Actually this is a good heads up to have a hook proof material, eg vinyl rather than cloth. I used to get peed off hooking my old cloth one. Current one is a raillaza ( a bit small flag area) with a whippy pole so I can run a rod right through it and it bends out of way