Fish Stock

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Fish Stock

Post by loboloco »

Hey guys fish stock is soo good for you so I thought that I would share this recipe.

Save your fish frames!!

You can use any white fleshed fish but I probably wouldn't use things like flatties, sharks. Fish like snapper, mulloway, whiting, silver trevally, king fish.... are perfect. Keep the heads (without gills), the wings if you don't eat them and the frame. I would use two 50cm snapper or equivalent in the following recipe. The more you add the more goodness you get :up:

you will also need...

30g butter
5 stalks flat-leaf parsley
1 large onion, finely chopped
Fennel trimmings
250ml dry white wine
2 bay leafs
15 black peppercorns
About 2L of water

Over a low to medium heat cook the butter and onion and fennel until soft ~5-10min
Then add the fish and cook until the bones begin to go white.

Then add the wine and water. increase heat until just simmering! This is my favourite bit as I will pick off the cooked flesh and eat it :D

IMPORTANT: don't bring it to the boil or you will end up with a very cloudy stock giving it a different taste, almost a little like cardboard and a little bitter :?

Let it simmer for 20min, strain through a fine sieve. (The stuff left over in the sieve is perfect to bury in the compost or the garden :thumbsup: )

It should be used within a couple of days fresh or lasts in the freezer for a couple of months. You can use it in curries, casseroles, soups, seafood chowder, seafood risotto.....

you won't be able to buy anything this good!!

Cheers
Loboloco
Last edited by loboloco on 12 Nov 2015, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: Fish Stock

Post by mingle »

Anything to show off the damn mulloway again, eh? :-)

Seems like a good recipe. My M.I.L. does something similar, but she also used the leftover bits of the flatties and it works fine.

Cheers,

Mike.
loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Post by loboloco »

mingle wrote:Anything to show off the damn mulloway again, eh? :-)

Seems like a good recipe. My M.I.L. does something similar, but she also used the leftover bits of the flatties and it works fine.

Cheers,

Mike.
Ha Mulloway :D

Hey Mike the only reason I thought that flatties wouldn't be the best option is because of their 'poison glands' but the frames would certainly do the trick. Having said that I have never actually used the heads??

Cheers
Loboloco
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Yummm.
Great way to use "scraps".

On a side note, I went to a rock concert / campout at fish creek called fish stock..
Good couple days as a youngster
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

One thing I learnt off a cooking show was to brown the fish bits first, get a bit of colour on them, the cook away. Enhances the flavour more IMHO.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Nice. I can't stand chucking out fish heads and always make stock with them (flatties too), though most of the Snapper frames end up on the bbq these days.

Funny as I sit and pick all the meat out too!

Cheers

Tim
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Fish stocks are great but make sure you don't let it simmer for more than 20 mins or else the bones will start to make it turn bitter. :thumbsup:
Rockofclay
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Cayman Dagger and Venturer

Post by Rockofclay »

I'm tipping the leftovers would make great berly. Especially with the fennel.