Transport Safety Victoria kayak forum - outcomes?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Re: Transport Safety Victoria kayak forum - outcomes?

Post by Rhino »

cbarker54 wrote:With all this talk of registrations and licenses and regulations of how far from shore you can go we may as well pile up our yaks and have a massive bonnie and get blind drunk cause from what I'm hearing on here we are in a floating death trap and are destined to die (whether we have a flag or not).

FFS I bought a yak to avoid all the crap of registrations and stuff that comes with owning a boat. If I've then gotta do it anyway with my yak because a handful of dicks have no common sense then my yak will be up for sale very quickly.

Assuming you are still allowed to sell a yak privately or will you have to be licensed and registered to do that as well?

Relax Chris, nobody here makes the rules.

TSV want to keep it simple. There are no new regulations coming. If they are to initiate a registration or licensing program it would be free on a voluntary basis with an incentive to participate.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Rhino wrote:
cbarker54 wrote:With all this talk of registrations and licenses and regulations of how far from shore you can go we may as well pile up our yaks and have a massive bonnie and get blind drunk cause from what I'm hearing on here we are in a floating death trap and are destined to die (whether we have a flag or not).

FFS I bought a yak to avoid all the crap of registrations and stuff that comes with owning a boat. If I've then gotta do it anyway with my yak because a handful of dicks have no common sense then my yak will be up for sale very quickly.

Assuming you are still allowed to sell a yak privately or will you have to be licensed and registered to do that as well?

Relax Chris, nobody here makes the rules.

TSV want to keep it simple. There are no new regulations coming. If they are to initiate a registration or licensing program it would be free on a voluntary basis with an incentive to participate.
In other words: sitting on their hands, its the bike car thing all over again........
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Tough gig huh?

Do nothing.........get slammed

Make rules.........get slammed.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Rhino wrote:Tough gig huh?

No not really Rhino, its about balance......Fact as more and more people get out and about so there are more folks in each segment from responsible to bloody stupid......as there are more people in each segment so the impact grows as the impact grows , so more folks are effected, so there becomes a need to regulate......in this day and age that means enforcement because the age of responsibility is long gone....eg. as late as the 70's a person could leave a house or a car unlocked in the CBD.....a person could walk through Melbourne alone early before daylight.....not today.

So it is that yakking is growing.....Chris may well have got into the sport to avoid red tape associated with boats.....but that freedom lets in idiots and mongrels too. What about the safety of the folks that have to rescue the clowns, what about the costs associted with these losses.

An ounce of prevention is worth a hundredweight of cure.

I dont want regulation either, but I sure as hell dont want to be faced with having to assist a clown drifting in the Bay.

Like you I could not ignore even a Clown..........I'd rather they were kept out by some measure of accountability, even if that was a hefty penalty.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

Thanks for the updates fellas.
I'm all for on water checks, have never seen or heard of checks on the bay. Start fining the flogs and enforcing existing laws.

I've been checked twice in 4 years yakkin, once on Eildon and once on Jindabyne
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

JägerMarty wrote:Thanks for the updates fellas.
I'm all for on water checks, have never seen or heard of checks on the bay. Start fining the flogs and enforcing existing laws.

I've been checked twice in 4 years yakkin, once on Eildon and once on Jindabyne
When I was paddling the blimp fishing several kilometres from shore whenever the water police came past they always stopped to check things out. The first question was always, "where's the motor?" and I would point to my arms... then they would proceed to check all my gear, fishing license, catch... etc, so I've always liked to think they were on the ball... or else I just looked sus'.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I think was just a wtf moment for them. :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Hvalross wrote:
Rhino wrote:Tough gig huh?

No not really Rhino, its about balance......Fact as more and more people get out and about so there are more folks in each segment from responsible to bloody stupid......as there are more people in each segment so the impact grows as the impact grows , so more folks are effected, so there becomes a need to regulate......in this day and age that means enforcement because the age of responsibility is long gone....eg. as late as the 70's a person could leave a house or a car unlocked in the CBD.....a person could walk through Melbourne alone early before daylight.....not today.

So it is that yakking is growing.....Chris may well have got into the sport to avoid red tape associated with boats.....but that freedom lets in idiots and mongrels too. What about the safety of the folks that have to rescue the clowns, what about the costs associted with these losses.

An ounce of prevention is worth a hundredweight of cure.

I dont want regulation either, but I sure as hell dont want to be faced with having to assist a clown drifting in the Bay.

Like you I could not ignore even a Clown..........I'd rather they were kept out by some measure of accountability, even if that was a hefty penalty.
The balance seems more or less right though. With the only deaths due to people using powered kayaks improperly it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot left to be done from a regulation point of view aside from better enforcement of the existing rules (which work really well at preventing accidents and saving lives when followed).