Suggestions for improvement to Willy Weather

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Suggestions for improvement to Willy Weather

Post by Steve_R »

The operators of Wiilly Weather are interested in feedback. I've sent them a link to this thread. They are not members so will not feed back but be assured, they will read your comments. They are welcome to feedback generally or specifically via my email address, which they have.

If they adopt any suggestions, programming takes time. It's not so much getting code to do basic operation but adding all the error checking and testing on different operating systems that needs to be donebefore the code can be released onto the general public . They need to be ultra-cautious with changes. So, be patient.

To start the ball rolling, I've already asked for data tables below charts for those who like the numbers better than the pictures.

Shane suggested in another thread:
- The phone app gives wind out to seven days and hourly wind data for the first 3 days but the new-web page is significantly dumbed down giving only 3 hourly wind and only out to 5 days. I would like to see the webb page data move to at least the same detail as the app.
- Other apps such as windfinder go out to 10 days so if they have access ton the data it would be great to be able to see it.
- The actual recorded wind overlay is the best thing about the new webb layout and it would be good if this found its way to the app as well.
- If they have MSLP data it would be great if they create a new graph tab that shows the predicted MSLP over coming days as a line graph similar to wind etc. For many fish such as snapper a rising barometer brings them on the chew and it would be great to be able to see when these conditions are forecast. I can't find anything currently that forecasts MSLP in this type of format.
- What you've been enquiring about waves would be a great addition. Meteye shows combined waves and swell so they will have access to the data and it would be great to have this in addition to the basic swell data they have now. This would include just wave data for inshore waters where they currently don't have swell data.
- The sun/moon/tide data allows you to track forward and back in time. It would be great if wind/swell etc allowed you to track back in time, even just a few days to review what conditions you had or forecast vs actual experience.
- If they have access to tide stream flow speeds it would be good to be able to view this.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Steve_R
Square eyes

Re: Suggestions for improvement to Willy Weather

Post by Steve_R »

Here's what I posted:
I posted in a different kayak fishing website that you are making improvements and called for suggestions. One of the members asked, “since you are talking with them”, I won't send you his comments. Instead of that, I started a suggestion thread. While this website relates more to Victoria than Australia-wide, there is a strong membership of dedicated people.
Over to you guys to prove you have better ideas than the national forum.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

Rockofclay
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Cayman Dagger and Venturer

Post by Rockofclay »

Slack tide times would be great, as would inland river flows. I know the info for the Goulburn/Eildon is publicly available.
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

First feedback from Willy Weather.
Just had a look Steve, looks good! Hopefully we'll get some good chat out of it.
Please get the ideas flowing. I hate them to think Victorians lack ideas or imagination.

choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

How about updating the forecast winds more often...???

Apart from that and possibly a seven day wind forecast, I'm happy with the new forms.
Love the addition of real time wind against the forecast wind, can see if its above or below forecast and get an idea of what's next... :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve for opening the dialogue
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

One small gripe I have is access of their webpage over the phone is very slow to change between tabs now.
I usually jump on to check tide times and when I hit the tab it takes a few presses and sometimes a reasonable wait to get it to go.
This didn't happen with the old site.

And yes I understand there is an app but I am lazy and like to use the bookmark I have set on my phone.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
superkrusty
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by superkrusty »

Maybe an option to change the wind location separate to the location specified. ie if I choose Torquay Whites beach I see wind information from Geelong airport whereas I would rather see a coastal location like Aireys Inlet. Not necessarily closest but more realistic information in relation to the coast.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

One other thing I miss from the previous webpage was the map in the bottom right. This was really handy for checking the coastline for direction relative to land and other features. It was also good for quickly switching to alternative locations nearby. Now you have to re-search, which is a pain
0408 565 763