At last decent plastic

Show off your DIY project!
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Re: At last decent plastic

Post by Peterj »

Is it fairly easy to make muti color lures, how do you go about it and how quick does this stuff set ?
Multi colours is only a matter of having two colours ready to go, pouring one and then the other over it. The clear bug with the pink vien in it is actually an old lure put in after a small amount of clear was put in then covered.

Thicker lures like the bug takes id say a few minutes to be hard enough to pull out. But the mold has alot to do with that. If the finish of the mold is super smooth you can extract the lure alot quicker as it just slips out. The mold i use for the bug right now is pure plaster with no hard shiny coat on it so it takes a bit longer to let set so i can get it out without ripping.
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

I noticed the guy on site recommended putting some two pac on the molds.
Peterj are you using two part molds or just single?
the ones on the site looked like one sided molds, bit hard to tell.
At college we used a mould or "Casting plaster' available through pottery outlets.
Maybe you could zap some of your old soft plastics that the pinkies took their tails off.
I seem to have a collection of bits and pieces, could be a good opertunity to do a bit of recycling.
Good luck at Malla, last I heard was the Bream were still busy bonking up the creek.
They have to come up for air soon? ;)
Mordy
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

ive been using one piece molds, making them out of the casting plaster( quickset) and leaving as little on the underside as possible so they are as full as possible.

Your are right , most were up high in the creeks, it was like a boat jam up there, i got a couple down near the mouth but nothing to write home about.