Greetings from Geelong

New? Say G'Day here!
im_no_pro
Apprentice
kayak: Malibu Stealth 12

Greetings from Geelong

Post by im_no_pro »

Hi all

I've just purchased my first Yak - a Malibu Stealth 12. Hasn't seen water yet apart from the pool in the backyard so the kids could float on it, hope to change that in coming weeks or two. Couldn't buy a yak without giving consideration to at least the occasional fishing session in it, I'd say I would mostly be looking at Corio Bay/Grammar School lagoon but I also work in Altona so there's alway the option of a cheeky before/after work fish when we get some daylight back later in the year.

Was put onto this board as a good resource for info when starting out, looking forward to doing a bit of reading over the coming weeks.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Greetings from Geelong

Post by cheaterparts »

im_no_pro wrote:Hi all

I've just purchased my first Yak - a Malibu Stealth 12. Hasn't seen water yet apart from the pool in the backyard so the kids could float on it, hope to change that in coming weeks or two. Couldn't buy a yak without giving consideration to at least the occasional fishing session in it, I'd say I would mostly be looking at Corio Bay/Grammar School lagoon but I also work in Altona so there's alway the option of a cheeky before/after work fish when we get some daylight back later in the year.

Was put onto this board as a good resource for info when starting out, looking forward to doing a bit of reading over the coming weeks.
first Welcome to Vyak Ben -- as it was pointed out over on FB this is probably the best asset when it comes to local Victorian kayak fishing - unlike FB posts are easy to find through the search funtion ( top right hand of the page ) - the safety section is a real worthwhile read with many things you may not have thought of

There are quite a few members down your way that you will probably come across over time and most will share info

so stay safe and enjoy
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Welcome Ben, lots of places for you to explore between Corio and altona. An easy starter for you would be squidding just in front of the ramp at Avalon. Fairly sheltered, not too far out or too deep.

As Cheater points out you can find out info on virtually anywhere using the search tab.
im_no_pro
Apprentice

Post by im_no_pro »

Thanks Gents. I've been a global moderator on a fairly large phpBB cycling forum for the best part of a decade, so this feels pretty familiar already and searching shouldnt be too much of a challenge. Finding the time to read it all will be the issue :thumbsup:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Welcome Ben, as the other guys have said, the most import thing in kayaking is safety. I've only been kayaking and here for 6 months and still catching up on the reading ;) Geelong is an awesome place for kayak fishing as it has all direction wind coverage provided you dont go to wide on a high wind day, although i haven't fished Geelong itself very much as yet. Most of my fishing to date has been clifton springs to swan bay and have been eating every type of fish available to the bay fisherman from flatties to flake, without ever buying any bait (all bait caught locally ).
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
im_no_pro
Apprentice

Post by im_no_pro »

Well, picked a good weekend to hope for a first outing in my new yak, didnt I...... had to shelve that idea. Did manage to get out at lunchtime today for a very brief shakedown on the Barwon. Paddled maybe a km in total (& picked up a Geocache, anyone else into that?), but most importantly I scratched the itch. And now i've scratched it, whats the bet it turns into a rash. One that needs regular treatment :D

Still a few things on the acquisition list. Going to hang it from the roof in the garage with a pulley system - drop it straight onto the car and drive out is highly appealing. Also scored some brand new pram wheels from the Salvo's which is step 1 towards building a scupper cart. Step 2, off to Bunnings.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Welcome Ben,
As well as the reading & learning here consider an introductory kayak fishing course.
East Coast Kayak run them on the east side of Port Phillip Bay out of Sandringham.
Seasherpa does them on the west side.
Enjoy treating your rash for many years to come.