Feel Free Lure Kayak

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Feel Free Lure Kayak

Post by erik the viking »

For those of you that definitely want to get a paddle yak for fishing, have a look at this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNweytWqUPs
It hasn't got high sides, so you'll get wet feet in PPB slop, but the seat is up nice and high.
Probably more suited rivers and calm flats fishing but, it seems very stable.
His motor mount and bass fishing vids are a good time waster :up:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Feel Free Lure Kayak

Post by peatop »

I seriously thought about goin paddle over pedal, and if i was going paddle i would definitely have gone glass, after watching vids and reading reports of fishing trips imo for serious paddlers glass is the only way to go ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
*Gab*
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Pro Fisha 475

Post by *Gab* »

That SUP must be slow as hell!! Ahahahah
I love not man the less, but nature more..
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:I seriously thought about goin paddle over pedal, and if i was going paddle i would definitely have gone glass, after watching vids and reading reports of fishing trips imo for serious paddlers glass is the only way to go ;)
glass is good for covering distance and getting efficiently from A to B, which is a big part of offshore. But for general run of the mill fishing they lack space and utility especially if you want to take a lot of rods etc, less "workspace", and less stability when you are just drifting or floating around. Like everything its horses for coarses. A bit like taking a sportscar to pick up some timber from Bunnings, it has to suit what you actually do not just what you dream of doing.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

laneends wrote:
peatop wrote:I seriously thought about goin paddle over pedal, and if i was going paddle i would definitely have gone glass, after watching vids and reading reports of fishing trips imo for serious paddlers glass is the only way to go ;)
glass is good for covering distance and getting efficiently from A to B, which is a big part of offshore. But for general run of the mill fishing they lack space and utility especially if you want to take a lot of rods etc, less "workspace", and less stability when you are just drifting or floating around. Like everything its horses for coarses. A bit like taking a sportscar to pick up some timber from Bunnings, it has to suit what you actually do not just what you dream of doing.
Yah Keith, this is true and i guess im looking at it from my point of view, i am interested in offshore and living where i do there is a few offshore launch sites close by, so i guess that would be the reason im somewhat biased ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote: Yah Keith, this is true and i guess im looking at it from my point of view, i am interested in offshore and living where i do there is a few offshore launch sites close by, so i guess that would be the reason im somewhat biased ;)
You thinking of just having one yak or keeping your old one too.? Must admit I have measured up the shed to see if a profisha 575 can fit in there alongside the others, just in case :evilgrin:

I actually think a glass yak is a good choice for WP too as often fishing grounds can be a fair trek from the few launches, and the ability to skim quickly over shallow flats without worrying about pedal drives is an advantage too. Most fishing is anchor and bait so there is not the same advantage to hands free of pedal drives.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:
funny thing Keith I can take 6 rods without any trouble on the outside of stealth 525 ( 4 in the std rear rod holders and 2 it my front rod holders ) and more in the hatch - the 525 is rated to carry 35 kg more than your Revo 16 - I can drive my sports car to Bunnings and carry lots of timber home
I also have 4 added rod holders to sit at anchor with

it has more storage in the main hatch than most plastic kayaks have period

as for for stability how quick you get accustomed to them I felt quite at home at portland Aust day W/E even when the event was called at 18 knot wind just drifting and bottom bouncing - seas were a bit ugly but the kayak was good

as for speed and distance you are right Eoin and myself covered the 13 km Gippland paddle coarse in 1 hour 39 min ( 7.9 kph ) thats zipping right along for a fishing kayak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Mindi
Apprentice
kayak: Feelfree Lure 11.5

Post by Mindi »

I have a Lure 11.5 and am very happy with it..very. One thing I have learned is that a kayak is much more an individual needs matching thing than a basic boat. I would much prefer a Longer Hobie or another of the classy Americans but I would also like to not be 75 with two artificial knees and obese..... given those parameters, I am perefectly served by the Lure 11.5 and can lift it onto my SUV roof one end at a time without much effort. I use it in sheltered waters and it is as dry as you like. My only issue is that with very poor flexibility, getting aboard can (and did) dump me on my bum in the water...getting out is nearly as hard. The seat is nothing less than outstanding... but the game changer for me was buying Hobie Sidekicks. Set above the water when I am aboard they bring zero drag, but stop any tipping when I jump aboard. They are fantastic and saved my kayak project literally. I dont give a damn if they look like training wheels, they make getting aboard and off again a piece of cake.
For a wide and flat hull as unlike a Hobie as you could imagine, it paddles really quite well. I motor with a Watersnake T24 to the area I want to fish and then only paddle. I use a stake through the ring of an anchor system to pin myself in shallows for flathead fishing. I have wired a kill switch which clips to my lifejacket, an interesting project which requires a relay to work correctly. Happy to provide wiring details to anyone interested.
So the Feelfree Lure 11.5 is perfect for my needs, not too heavy at 28kg without seat, wide and stable, and still does 4.2kph with the Watersnake 24 and can paddle quite well.I am very pleased with it.
My next purchase for it will be a true variable speed motor from Minn Kota or Watersnake as soon as they release one in smallest size as the dump coil T24 doesnt get a huge run out of a gel 36AH battery.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Mindi wrote:So the Feelfree Lure 11.5 is perfect for my needs, not too heavy at 28kg without seat, wide and stable, and still does 4.2kph with the Watersnake 24 and can paddle quite well.I am very pleased with it.
My next purchase for it will be a true variable speed motor from Minn Kota or Watersnake as soon as they release one in smallest size as the dump coil T24 doesnt get a huge run out of a gel 36AH battery.
At least you are able to get out there and have a go. :thumbsup:
As for the dump coil, there are a few vids around on how to fit an electronic variable controller under the lid of the Watersnake.
They apparently work a treat and it saves buying a new motor!
I can't remember the links, but I'll have a look as someone else has asked about it.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Mindi wrote:I have a Lure 11.5 and am very happy with it..very. One thing I have learned is that a kayak is much more an individual needs matching thing than a basic boat. I would much prefer a Longer Hobie or another of the classy Americans but I would also like to not be 75 with two artificial knees and obese..... given those parameters, I am perefectly served by the Lure 11.5 and can lift it onto my SUV roof one end at a time without much effort. I use it in sheltered waters and it is as dry as you like. My only issue is that with very poor flexibility, getting aboard can (and did) dump me on my bum in the water...getting out is nearly as hard. The seat is nothing less than outstanding... but the game changer for me was buying Hobie Sidekicks. Set above the water when I am aboard they bring zero drag, but stop any tipping when I jump aboard. They are fantastic and saved my kayak project literally. I dont give a damn if they look like training wheels, they make getting aboard and off again a piece of cake.
For a wide and flat hull as unlike a Hobie as you could imagine, it paddles really quite well. I motor with a Watersnake T24 to the area I want to fish and then only paddle. I use a stake through the ring of an anchor system to pin myself in shallows for flathead fishing. I have wired a kill switch which clips to my lifejacket, an interesting project which requires a relay to work correctly. Happy to provide wiring details to anyone interested.
So the Feelfree Lure 11.5 is perfect for my needs, not too heavy at 28kg without seat, wide and stable, and still does 4.2kph with the Watersnake 24 and can paddle quite well.I am very pleased with it.
Hi John you can get a variable Drive speed control to mount in the cover of the water snake T24 and use you can also adapt the 28 prop to the 24lb motor.
I have this setup on a PA14 and can get over 5.5 kph. I use this for trolling mainly a 40ah lifepo4 (5kg only) battery used on full has a range of around 10 kms.
The controller is a 60a 12 volt version from eBay I also wired in a relay with kill switch which was harder than wiring in the kill switch, so I'm sure you would be competent.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's