Jump Starters

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Jump Starters

Post by Digger »

I have lots of machinery here and there is always something that hasn’t been used for a while and wont start!

Been through half a dozen typical jump starter packs over the years and they seldom last much more than 12 months.

I got sick of paying for this rubbish and having it let me down so I fronted Jaycar and asked for something that I could rely on.

This is what they’ve recommended: Image

It’s small and handy to carry in the boot but the best part is that from one charge you can jump start up to 6 vehicles in a row, it will even start diesel tractors or bigger motors. The special battery technology will hold 80% of it’s charge even out to 12 months.

Of course it has been used on more than one occasion to re-power flat electronic toys like pads, phones etc so broken down or stuck in the bush somewhere and your phone goes flat? Not a problem anymore. Comes with every adaptor know to mankind and is just one damn effective tool.

I think I paid about $230 a couple of years ago and this starter pack has never let me down!

I figure when something lives up to it’s claims these days we should spread the word.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Re: Jump Starters

Post by bunyip »

I have had one for a couple of years that I got of Ebay, it also come with a questionable compressor that does work but is very noisy and I question the accuracy of the gauge.
240v and 12v charger and a soft carry case, it works and lives in the car, I have used it for many tasks including starting a car, I was dubious but pleasantly surprised, cost about $130.
A bit doubtful about the number of diesel starts it claims but I always charge after using it.

Edit.
This is the one I got, the green unit.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suaoki-G7-G ... ygRxhmPmLQ
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Good Call Digger.

I have one of these in the boat just in case my dual batteries fail.
Cheap for the piece of mind, also handy for if anyone in the club or on the water goes flat.

I think I will get another for the car, nice piece of mind.
These days batteries can just die, I have heard from a few people that had flat batteries recently that there was no slow cranking or warning that their battery was going to die.
Turn the key and nothing.. not like the old days when you would get a slow crank first as a warning.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

I bought one a few years ago very similar to that digger but mines white and not sure If it will do diesel, I store it in my glove box most of the time and have used it a fair bit, jumped started a few cars too.
So handy to use not needing long jumper leads and being able to power and charge usb devices, phones etc while camping etc.
I was cynical when i first saw them and how small they are but after witnessing a mate jump starting his boat with one and I just had to have one.

this looks identical to mine although not the same seller
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20000mAh-Mi ... SwzXxaS1YI

If mine ever dies I will buy one like this, I reckon this would jump start an airbus A380
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/82800mAh-Ca ... Sw7Bda9A7h
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

G’day Jaryd how are you doing mate?

That sort of looks similar to mine and like most other things a few cosmetic changes and a new market perhaps?

I was sick of these things being unreliable but this Smart Charger has been going for 18 months or so and hasn’t missed a beat.

I’ve used it to start almost everything with a motor on the property at least once or twice. (bought a few new batteries too)

Happy Digger!
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Gday Digger,
yeah going ok, struggle to get the yak out due to a neck injury but still fish a lot land based and in boats.
How are you going? hope your still getting out and wetting a line a bit too.
I'd be interested to know how many mAh your jump starter is, they seriously are great items to own.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

vikodin wrote:Gday Digger,
yeah going ok, struggle to get the yak out due to a neck injury but still fish a lot land based and in boats.
How are you going? hope your still getting out and wetting a line a bit too.
I'd be interested to know how many mAh your jump starter is, they seriously are great items to own.

Sorry to hear about your neck, it’s awkward with the limitations in movement that sort of injury puts on you. I have trouble turning around to look back when driving or on the tractor, tend to move my whole body to compensate. Good to hear you're still fishing though.

I have a few more medical issues on the horizon but hopefully nothing that’s going to stop me. (soon..Grin)
However in saying that I’m currently working on firewood for 2020 season and with the help of machinery I get through OK thanks.

Not sure how keen I’m going to be to take the boat out over winter now....must be getting bloody soft and I’m tending to feel the cold more as I get older. Winter is a good time of year for the fishing the rivers here so maybe I’ll overcome my reticence? I’m actually looking forward to fishing more at Mallacoota from now on and may just leave the boat down there most of the time. See how it all goes I guess.

I’ll get back to you with the details of the charger as it’s still dark outside.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Strangely it doesn’t say.

Nothing in the operating instructions and I can’t find it on line either but it does give the following on the case:

Diesel up to 5 litre (4500cc)
Petrol up to 6 litre (7000cc)

I have to replace the battery on the hydraulic splitter and have been using this to start it a number of times this week. I use it for cars both 6 cylinder and my old tractor which is diesel, mowers etc. I believe there is also a bigger model but this certainly has worked every time I need it to.

Hope that helps.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

That's not something I would use more than once every five years. However, I could have loaned one out to a neighbour about two weeks ago and it would be handy to back up the phone. What maintenance charging is needed?

The Chinglish translation for the 82800mAh eBay model is a laugh. Here are some highlights
Broken windows safety hammer, to prevent accidents
Fast flashing model" for self-defense when meet attack.(use it shot his eyes!)
After fully charged one time, can keep about months.
8 type laptop charging head for choose.
By using our 1x 4in1 usb line ,you can charge 1* iphone 6 or 1* Android phone at the same time without need waiting!
Still scratching the head about the last one.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

I do it every 3 months just for the hell of it but was told that it would have 80% of it’s charge after sitting for 12 months.

I haven’t tested that as I’m using it on regular occasions.

I use it more for charging Gael's devices when she forgets to change them.