Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
anth0ny
Apprentice
kayak: Lovig Maverick

Post by anth0ny »

Hi all,

I have actually been a member here for a long time, but now really seriously looking at buying my first yak.

I am looking at a second hand Eco Paddle Sports Ambush (opinions would be great) pretty much kitted out ready to go for $700 on gumtree. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detai ... 1178689914

Any other yaks new or 2nd hand around that price mark I should look at?

I have read to practise re-entry in deep water (cheaterparts) and I was googling kayak safety courses. I think it was $90 for 3 hours.

I was wondering how willing the members here would be to allow me to tag along until I get my balance, bearings and confidence and experience up?

Cheers
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Re: New Member

Post by Galey »

Welcome aboard mate. I’m sure you will find some mates to hook up with. Where are you located?
anth0ny
Apprentice

Post by anth0ny »

Thanks mate!

I am in the South East, frequent lang lang and balnarring areas land based
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Welcome to join me on a trip or two when I manage. Won't be next two weekends, parental duties.
Your approaching this the right way. Safety course is a good idea if your not confident and that day you will probably find a fishing or two to head out with for the safety in numbers
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
anth0ny
Apprentice

Post by anth0ny »

Hi again,
Thank you for your responses so far
I'm rehashing my old post.
I broke my ankle playing a charity game of footy after I posted this, so the kayak shopping went on the back burner.
Now I am back and fit, I am looking again.
I have looked at a few online https://www.kayaksonline.net/kayaks/fis ... -albatross
4.1m seems good - I am around 5'11 and 88kg
https://slhobie.com.au/hobie/lovig-kaya ... averick-13 A bit more expensive for the Lovig
I have been watching gumtree and ebay for SH models, but there isn't too much there at the moment.

Any advice/knowledge/reviews from anyone who may own these 2 models, or suggest an alternative to have a look at?

I will be heading in to have a look in the next few days to have a really good look and hear the sales people out, then hopefully come home with a nice new toy to modify and test and modify to my hearts content.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

anth0ny wrote: https://slhobie.com.au/hobie/lovig-kaya ... averick-13 A bit more expensive for the Lovig
Peatop (Pete) has one of these mavericks:
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 00#p267400

Albatross is a heavy beast i believe
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I bought the Maverick back in September last year, it is a great unit, I've posted in several areas on here in relation to it, they are sold by both SLH and AWS, mornington and geelong. I bought it with the idea to replace it before this coming season with a pedal craft, now i have a PA14. Like everyone will tell you "it horses for courses" on flat water it ave speed is around 5kph, I've been cought out in some very ruff weather and never felt unsafe, it's not built to paddle, it's built to fish lol, in all honesty i would buy it again in the same situation, i still have it only as my kids use it however im thinking about buying something more suited to offshore at a later date and then i will sell the maverick. The modifications i made were purely to make it suite my style at that stage, the other kayak your looking at seems to have far to many star mounts on the gunwalls which would make it more difficult to modify imo also the rear hatch is in a bad location, i would silicone that up for safety, other than that ask others on the design. Your welcome to come down and spend the day using mine, this will give you a solid understanding of why i chose the Maverick over others and the hobie quest13 which was the same price.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
anth0ny
Apprentice

Post by anth0ny »

Thank you mate, that is really kind of you.

I actually did read your posts, both when you chose it and the recent review, so I am not sure why I actually put it down there.
I don't need the fastest unit, just something stable and safe for a beginner.

I will go down and have a look first and I will make my decision, but I do see what you mean with the star mounts. What are they for exactly?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

anth0ny wrote: but I do see what you mean with the star mounts. What are they for exactly?

https://www.railblaza.com/

starports
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Im not sure of your intentions or suitability for kayaks but for a first paddle kayak the maverick is great but exspencive for a cheap import, the reason i chose it over many others was solely based on the seat, had i not needed the seat i would have bought the hobie quest 13 which was the same price back then.

Im not saying don't buy the maverick or something similar, it is a great fishing yak, when starting from the beginning we make mistakes, this is part of the learning process, the better kayaks are a better option for sure, but paying a lot of money for something you dont know about when funds are limited is hard to do ;) looking for a secondhand hobie or one of the other better known brands has many advantages to a newcomer, i now have a paddle and a pedal yak, i like paddling but i wouldn't keep the maverick for the padding, so at a later date i will be looking for a suitable yak for padding.

Lovig has a good range suitable for all types of uses, the next one down looks like a good beginner with a more reasonable price tag.

I could go on and on but ultimately it's a choice you have to make ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm