Foam floation in empty spaces!!!

Show off your DIY project!
madmal
Apprentice
kayak: native mantaray

Foam floation in empty spaces!!!

Post by madmal »

Hey just a quick thought that sprung to mind.. :geek: :?: foam that floats, placed inside the unused hull, contained within your yak...
Air cell against foam cell is the question. :?: We all know air sealed hulls will float, with no leaks, as with the foam it floats too.. to a certain weight, pendn the foam type i suppose! Has anybody any suggestions? Would a airtight sealed hull work better on a yak as flotation, pending conditions as to a foam filled yak?
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Foam floation in empty spaces!!!

Post by ELM »

Hi Madmal, I am guessing an air filled would float better than a foam filled, I have heard of guys trying the spray in foam and deforming their hulls when it expands and has nowhere to go except out :down: , it also holds water a fair bit so choose of foam will be important. You would also need to be careful using air if its under any form of pressure as in a tyre tube etc, it could also expand and cause deformation.

Not sure how you would go (another mad idea) softening plastic bottles with a heat gun and then push them in to smaller areas so they form to the shape but can be sealed with their caps ? If you made a cap with a hose on it you may even be able to blow them out to the final shape with a little pressure but you would need to be careful when doing it.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Look in the hull of any Hobie, you will find pieces of air-filled-foam attached with tie-wraps to scupper supports as extra buoyancy.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by brettrobo »

I think we need to get to the bottom of this.

Simply put, buoyancy of a water craft is the volume of water displaced. For the sake of easy calculations lets do this based on fresh water (1 litre = 1 kg)
Lets say a hobie kayak displaced 3000cm square and the weight of the craft is 30kg

Here is the calculation
For every 10cm square you have 1 litre of volume which equates to 1kg of positive buoyancy.
So a 3000cm square hull would be 300 litres which means 300kg of buoyancy.
You then subtract the 30kg’s the hull weighs and you then have 270kg of buoyancy.
Obviously this is for a neutral buoyancy and you don’t want that, you want your craft sitting out of the water by lets say 50% of its height you then subtract 50% of the buoyancy (the 300kg) you get 150 then remove the 30kg to get 120kg

Now, as you have noted above there is a risk of the craft taking on water and thus loosing buoyancy. This is fixed by adding foam or another light weight substance that displaces water.
So, by adding lets say 10 kg of foam you have a craft that can only take 110kg person(with gear) or it rides lower.

Foam ect can fix problems but it also adds problems, if you want your craft to never sink even if it has been fully filled with water you will want to fill your craft with a little over 300cm square of foam so as to offset the weight of the craft

i would say an air tight sealed yak is your best bet, short of a break in the hull it will never sink.
a yak that displaces less water is also (usually) faster (less drag)

hope this helps :)
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

Bozzie wrote:Look in the hull of any Hobie, you will find pieces of air-filled-foam attached with tie-wraps to scupper supports as extra buoyancy.
These are mainly on the anglers. they are there to stop hull damage when you are walking around on it. Nothing at all to do with bouyancy.

Personally, i just throw a few sponges in the hull. it doesnt help with flotation, but makes it easier to mop up any water that does get in.