Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Post by Tim399 »

Clintos, if you are after a good seeaworthy sit on top that will handle most conditions my brother is selling an RTM K-Largo at the moment with rod holders, anchor trolley and a fish finder. He’s asking $750 but I’m sure if you offer him $650 it will be yours. At 4.1m long it will keep you safe in most conditions.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Tim399 wrote:Clintos, if you are after a good seeaworthy sit on top that will handle most conditions my brother is selling an RTM K-Largo at the moment with rod holders, anchor trolley and a fish finder. He’s asking $750 but I’m sure if you offer him $650 it will be yours. At 4.1m long it will keep you safe in most conditions.
Currently $1400 at anaconda
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:Sounds like you just want someone to tell you to buy a 3m kayak so I'm happy to say, "just buy yourself a 3m yak :)"
with a 1m extension added on..
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

cheaterparts wrote:
frappa11 wrote:Hahhah thats EXACTLY what I thought when I got my Hobie i9s 3m inflatable - and I also only used it a few times a year for the last 4-5 years on only calm days and mostly only stay in close to catch small flaties/pinkes at millers etc...

Then I went to WP and caught my first gummys of size.... but found that I was really pushing the limits of my i9s ... and now I have a Revo 13 lol
the Revo won't go flat when you bring a sting ray in ether :evilgrin:
Didn't someone's revo go flat at NSC last/this year?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

clintos wrote:Honestly, big fish hold no interest for me. I've caught gummys before off the boat and some decent fish off Queensland coast.

My favourite type of fishing is actually small creek fishing for trout.
Anyone can catch fish from a boat. Kayak fishing is a far more intimate experience. I have caught all sorts from boats ranging from flatties and whiting to Spanish Mackerel and Bill fish but a howling reel aboard a Kayak is something different again. :shock:
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

peatop wrote: Didn't someone's revo go flat at NSC last/this year?
don't know but Frappas little pump up hobie had a string ray spike go through it some years back at Lang lang
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

cheaterparts wrote:
peatop wrote: Didn't someone's revo go flat at NSC last/this year?
don't know but Frappas little pump up hobie had a string ray spike go through it some years back at Lang lang
And lucky it was a hobie cause you only need 1 hand to steer! If it was a paddle inflatable i wouldnt have had a spare index finger to stick over the leak.
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

Reeling wrote:Sounds like you just want someone to tell you to buy a 3m kayak so I'm happy to say, "just buy yourself a 3m yak :)"
I guess from my responses you could assume this! I think I've been doing so much research and seeing alot of others doing offshore fishing in smaller craft like Pedalfish 10's (there is a great Facebook page called krakka yakkas where this is shown) that I've just been confused a bit as it contradicts the comments in this thread, also trying to make sure people aren't casting their own assumptions about how I fish or how I would fish in the future on me once I get into a kayak.

It's great that a safety first approach is taken by most here, just don't want to get something that isn't going to be fit for purpose - as said earlier I would hate to go full blown heavy and long yak to find I can never be bothered with the effort that comes along with such a craft. As you can tell I'm 100% down the pedal route now so it won't be a cheap exercise.

thanks all,

Clint.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Just a reminder that pedal craft are generally wider and heavier than paddle craft
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

laneends wrote:Just a reminder that pedal craft are generally wider and heavier than paddle craft
Yep I know. Looking at ones approx 30kg.