This how to launch a yak......

A forum for member's kayak or fishing related videos
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

This how to launch a yak......

Post by erik the viking »

Hey folks;
I have been following Rod for a while now. In is latest vid you get an idea how sometimes PPB or WPB don't just cut it for launching and variety of species.
He fishes of a Stealth beast (4.??????) and also has a Stealth skiff setup with a Tohatsu ob (for those longer trips) :D
Each to there own, but those that launch at Fishies, Sunnyside, Blackrock, Altona, Clifton Springs et al, you,ve got no idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS8Og8acu8

If you just want to see how a 'real' beach launch is done, just watch till 4:55.
However, there is a cool hookup at 7:29........
Those going to SWR in 2019, have look at what you might encounter and gear choice.
Also note how often Rod checks his drag, and instantly reels in unwanted lines on hookup.

Things to note:
A pointy bow (and splash guard) are a real bonus for wet launches
A touch screen sounder can be a real pain on a kayak
On hookup, paddle/peddle like f### to really set the hook
A gaff can be a yak fishos best friend

And also............ sometimes we just forget why we get out there and have a fish on a bit of plastic/fibreglass :thumbsup:
You've done the hard yards to get there so enjoy the moment and have some fun.
Last edited by erik the viking on 17 Dec 2018, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: This how to launch a yak......

Post by maverick »

No link?
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

maverick wrote:No link?

erik the viking wrote:Hey folks;
I have been following Rod for a while now. In is latest vid you get an idea how sometimes PPB or WPB don't just cut it for launching and variety of species.
He fishes of a Stealth beast (4.??????)
Rodney fishes off a carbon profisha 475 Erik.
If you like Rodney's videos, here's one of Justin's from the weekend with more good launch footage you might like:
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

The Profisha footage rokkit has posted is usually more interesting than the skiff. His new skiff doesn’t have the seat with storage hatch. At least you can have a seat if you’re out for long.
I did suggest to Stealth fitting a foldable “H-Bar” & “Lowrance ready” style spot for transducers which they acknowledged but I don’t know if they’ll implement.
John 3.16/17
erik the viking
Square eyes

maverick wrote:No link?
Ooooppps.
Fixed. :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS8Og8acu8
erik the viking
Square eyes

Yako wrote:The Profisha footage rokkit has posted is usually more interesting than the skiff. His new skiff doesn’t have the seat with storage hatch. At least you can have a seat if you’re out for long.
I did suggest to Stealth fitting a foldable “H-Bar” & “Lowrance ready” style spot for transducers which they acknowledged but I don’t know if they’ll implement.
The Stealth skiff is just a bit so so.
I really like Timmy Turtles newest home made Pipe Dreams II. :D
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

If I get that wet launching in Melbourne I'm turning around and going home
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I've launched the PA there a couple of times. Not as rough conditions but a Palmy launch always involves a lot of trepidation. :wtf:

At least SWR won't have launches anywhere near that level of surf (moderate surf only in the very worst conditions). The dead bait rigs were working very well on the spotties at SWR last year. I'll be making up plenty before I go this year (and suggest others do too) as they tend to get beaten up or snipped off during the week. Rod's video also reminded me I need to get the underwater camera out. I haven't used it in anger yet but cleaner water down the west coast and SWR should make it worthwhile.

With the hard paddling after a hook-up, I'm not personally a fan and see guys losing fish doing this that could have been kept on with rod work. It's also possibly a paddle thing where you can't apply much pressure to the fish with the yak once you stop pedaling. With pedals I've always found it better to grab the rod ASAP and use the pedals to put pressure on the fish while you set the hooks with the rod in hand. When sailing there's an extra step of needing to instantly furl the sail but it normally doesn't take long until the rod is in hand.
0408 565 763
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Zzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzz ping is what I remember from SWR.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

inshorebrawler wrote:Zzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzz ping is what I remember from SWR.
Yeah, but Wahoo are several weight classes above spotties. A tiny lip hook and some 60lb wire to a stinger on a live bonito should keep the zzzzz's going. :evilgrin:
0408 565 763