$30 vantage style seat, older TI

Show off your DIY project!
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

$30 vantage style seat, older TI

Post by Deefa »

The kokotats have split under the seal section, meaning arse soup in the pants if any water gathers in the seat well - not fun

Take one $30 aluminium beach chair:
Pull it apart, reverse the seat section & cut 80mm off each end.
Re-drill the swing plates (more accurately than i did) and fix with 4mm rivets. Cut some Al angle to brace the side tubes at the rear, and use straps to stop it tipping rearward.
It can still fold, and with the sag in the texilene puts you at a good height.

Still need to pad the rear, and work out how to hold it to the crossbar, and perhaps also hold the front down, but the straps stop it lifting well.

[Image

I've cable tied the two front bars together, need to pool noodle these as well.
I probably need to rivet in some padeyes to raise the straps up the seat back, as i haven't tried pedaling with it yet.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: $30 vantage style seat, older TI

Post by mingle »

Looks good...

Where did you get the seat from?

Will it fit in both the front and rear seat-wells on the T.I.?

Mike.
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

mingle wrote:Looks good...
I hope it works good!
mingle wrote:Where did you get the seat from?
pickup, from some random ebay seller with a warehouse in clayton, I've had it for a while...
mingle wrote:Will it fit in both the front and rear seat-wells on the T.I.?
The seat won't be held in position nicely in the back, I would have to think about that.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

On the older AI's there's a black plastic knob on the vertical face behind the seat. For my boat seat mount I attached a loop of chord/rope to the seat that's just long enough to loop over the knob and hold the rear down. Then attach the front straps and tighten. If the TI has this you can do similar.

Also with the Kokotats/Lovigs you can get drysuit repair tape that irons onto the inside of the seams to create a new waterproof seal. Otherwise you can get aquaseal for small holes etc.
0408 565 763
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

shane wrote:On the older AI's there's a black plastic knob on the vertical face behind the seat. For my boat seat mount I attached a loop of chord/rope to the seat that's just long enough to loop over the knob and hold the rear down. Then attach the front straps and tighten. If the TI has this you can do similar.
I'll have to check, don't remember if its there on the TI rear crossmember
shane wrote:Also with the Kokotats/Lovigs you can get drysuit repair tape that irons onto the inside of the seams to create a new waterproof seal. Otherwise you can get aquaseal for small holes etc.
The main split is between the main material and the waistband - the missus (who has been a machinist in many areas) shook her head and said 'that looks difficult' as they were handed back to me. :(
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

Oh, and the tiller just misses the chair frame at full starboard, and is a comfortable position..
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Looks good Deefa,
I tried something similar with a folding blue line boat seat on my old outback (pre vantage seat) a few years ago but it raised the seat height too much and created less stability. Also the old buckle/straps snapped 3rd time I used it, the seat fell/rocked backward the yak capsized and I fell in.
I've been keeping an eye out for a similar chair to the one you used with dimensions to sit lower & fit the old outback but haven't seen one yet.
Meanwhile a bought a 2015 outback with vantage seat.
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

Jacko wrote:Looks good Deefa,
I tried something similar with a folding blue line boat seat on my old outback (pre vantage seat) a few years ago but it raised the seat height too much and created less stability. Also the old buckle/straps snapped 3rd time I used it, the seat fell/rocked backward the yak capsized and I fell in.
I've been keeping an eye out for a similar chair to the one you used with dimensions to sit lower & fit the old outback but haven't seen one yet.
Meanwhile a bought a 2015 outback with vantage seat.
Thanks, and :lol: any footage of that capsize? Would have been funny to watch!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Some pads cut from one of those $5 gym mat rolls from K mart zip tied over the fabric would add some extra padding and warm. put some on the base of my ct vantage seat, big improvement and cuts out the butt rash the mesh was causing. reduces the water splashing up from seat well
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Looks like these chairs are on sale half price at anaconda at the moment.

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... 28f1a1ea7c