Berkley Quick Set rod holders on Ram mounts

Show off your DIY project!
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Berkley Quick Set rod holders on Ram mounts

Post by 4liters »

Anyone put Berkley Quick Set rod holders on a Ram mount?

I'm curious to see how people have done it, I really like the Quick Set rod holders as it's a lot easier to get the rod out when there's something heavy on the other end and the rod holder is past your toes.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Berkley Quick Set rod holders on Ram mounts

Post by laneends »

Think cheater might have
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I've been thinking about how to mount them (quick sets) to the H rail and thinking something similar, The holes on the square mount ram ball would line up pretty close to the quick set mounts although i don't like the quick set mounts and prefer using scotty instead, after using ball mounts on my sounder i can see why people like them im impressed.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

4liters wrote:Anyone put Berkley Quick Set rod holders on a Ram mount?

I'm curious to see how people have done it, I really like the Quick Set rod holders as it's a lot easier to get the rod out when there's something heavy on the other end and the rod holder is past your toes.
laneends wrote:Think cheater might have

Yes mate I fitted the quick set bases to 1 inch ram balls. That’s what I use on my front mounts for the stealth.

IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
I cut off the bottom piece from the square section of the quick set mount and though bolted it to the ram ball - I also did away with the wing nut adjuster and used a plain stainless nut and bolt as the adjustments now for rod angle both up and down - side to side are all done with the ram mount - it came it fairly neat and works a treat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:Anyone put Berkley Quick Set rod holders on a Ram mount?

laneends wrote:Think cheater might have

Yes mate I fitted the quick set bases to 1 inch ram balls. That’s what I use on my front mounts for the stealth.

IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
I cut off the bottom piece from the square section of the quick set mount and though bolted it to the ram ball - I also did away with the wing nut adjuster and used a plain stainless nut and bolt as the adjustments now for rod angle both up and down - side to side are all done with the ram mount - it came it fairly neat and works a treat
Only just saw these lol

Is that one of these balls with the square base?

And then a hole drilled down the centre of the square section of the rod holder for a bolt that goes through to the centre of the ball mount?

What are the two bolts through the the ball mount for?
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

4liters wrote:
To stop the base from turning and loosening off
I had a set on the Fisha 460, they are a very handy but very exxy addition
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

Seasherpa wrote:
4liters wrote:
To stop the base from turning and loosening off
I had a set on the Fisha 460, they are a very handy but very exxy addition
Makes sense.

I like the idea of having something like this that is quite adjustable rather than the fixed rod holders I've used previously, it hopefully won't cost a whole lot more than getting the stainless frames put together.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

you guys have it all worked out

yes I cut the bottom fitting of the berkley bases and the is already a bolt that goes through the burkley base to probably strengthen the unit
then you need to tap out the ram ball and the hole from memory is tapping size for 6 mm or 1/4 UNC then its just bolt them together with a stainless button head - as Eoin said the small spare bolts I added just to keep the base lined up on the ram ball - twisting may have loosened it off

the work out tidy and work very well
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

Does the ram ball need to be tapped out or can I just drive a bolt into it? Not as neat but I don’t have anything for cutting threads.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

4liters wrote:Does the ram ball need to be tapped out or can I just drive a bolt into it? Not as neat but I don’t have anything for cutting threads.
well I tapped mine - but then I'm more of an engineer than a butcher
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657