Yak motor and battery

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Steeeech
Apprentice
kayak: K2F Next Gen 10

Yak motor and battery

Post by Steeeech »

Hey All,

Just wondering what sort of battery/motor i should be looking at..

Pretty set on getting this motor https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/42-lbs-ele ... w-outdoor/

Any Recommendations on battery's and where to get them?

Cheers,
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Yak motor and battery

Post by cheaterparts »

one might ask why ---
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Steeeech
Apprentice
kayak: K2F Next Gen 10

Post by Steeeech »

Because trolling, and why not? haha
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Steeeech wrote:Because trolling, and why not? haha

well do the sums first - if you are looking at putting it on your 3 meter kayak - weight load limit 175 - the weight of the kayak about 25 so that leaves 150 take off you own weight and you fishing gear and motor setup
how long do you wont the battery to keep you running let look at a 98 AH AGM about 25 kg will run that motor around 86 min to be down to 50 % battery charge

Just from experience we had a guy come along on a quick local trip with us a while back that ran an electric motor and it was running flat out just trying to keep up with us on the paddle - distance covered that day was only 10 -12 km and then the return trip his battery was flat and the fun really started

with the extra weight on top of a poorly designed kayak and not designed for a motor his life trip back was a real problem we had the tide with us and his craft couldn't be kept straight and paddled worse than if there were no motor

i'm not sold on motors being fitted to kayaks that aren't designed for them they can be more trouble than they are worth

just a thought you can quite easy troll with a paddle , we do it quite often and sometimes for many hours
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Most of what cheater said, however I've seen yaks using electric motors and some arnt to bad but! This depends on the intended use this is where most people don't take everything into consideration, i was once told the difference between a 4x4 and a 2wd is the distance you have to tow it out of a bog :lol: funny but a very true statement.

I will stand corrected if wrong but isn't the exemption for a motor 20lb or less? The quoted battery amperage for that motor is far to low, if you intend going down that path buy from somewhere that has backup service maybe dinga they do a good deal at times with the one they sell, this would be the best advice: someone on here asked similar to you very recently and he went and built a speed controller for his, i would maybe contact him and anyone else before going ahead and attaching an electric motor hmm cheap electric motor setup, nit sure but i think i read that the bixpy setup was one that was available to suit the native, check it out but it's not cheap.

Your yak would not carry a battery big enough to run that motor your interested in, do some investigation on how batteries work and this will give you incite into why lots of experienced guys say don't bother ;) it's all about batteries!
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Gav
Apprentice
kayak: hobie pro angler 12 owner now 2013 modle

Post by Gav »

the exsemption is for 40 pound thrust your less gav
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I dropped a 24lb watersnake on a 4.3 ocean kayak - used it once, wasn't worth the effort. Extra weight and equipment meant other gear had to be sacrificed. Buy a Hobie if you want to troll in a yak.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

maverick wrote:I dropped a 24lb watersnake on a 4.3 ocean kayak - used it once, wasn't worth the effort. Extra weight and equipment meant other gear had to be sacrificed. Buy a Hobie if you want to troll in a yak.
or learn to paddle - or look at a solo skiff that are made for a motor
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657