Cheap Fish Smoker.

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Cheap Fish Smoker.

Post by maverick »

This is a site that offers special 1 day deals. This smoker normally retails at BCF for around $60. This is a good price if you are interested.

http://www.1-day.com.au/products/AAQBCN0FS

cheers
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Re: Cheap Fish Smoker.

Post by Widsa »

Nice one Mav!!

I have one on the way, been wanting to try this for a while.
Look out ham hok and salmon.
Any other recommendations? What to cook, what wood do you prefer? Secret methods?

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

No real secrets Widsa, most of the time I used to put the fish straight into the smoker but I have recently been marinating things first (brine and brown sugar) in recipes I have picked up off the www and I think it does make a nice difference. It is more of an experiment as to what you prefer taste wise. But you must try some marinated smoked squid, yum.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I put the salt and brown sugar directly on the fish as the brine didn't seem strong enough. Left it for 30 minutes before putting in the smoker/

Rob
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Hi, whenever we smoked snapper or eels back home we used to rub the salt and brown sugar on directly and then hang for a couple of hours to let it cure a little before putting in the smoker. We used to smoke the fish for about 6 hours but there was usually a fair amount being smoked (think big old double door commercial fridge you used to get in the dairys). In NZ ti tree is very common and provides a great smoke to the flesh so I would defintely recommend it if you can get it. However here I picked up some hickory from Ray's outdoors and will be giving that a go (don't have a smoker but have a weber bbq I cna use).

Good luck with it guys, in my opinion smoked fish (especially eel!!) cannot be beaten.

cheers

Herbie

btw Its also good for dealing with Kahawai (or Australian Salmon as you call it here)
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Thanks fella's,

Can't wait to give it try.
Smoked squid sound yummy!!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

I have a butcher in Mt Eliza with a commercial smoker that will do fish for free when he is doing a smoking run (normally once a week) but for something to chew on quickly, the metho burner and some sawdust in the mini smoker is a good option. Good because you can take it with you on a trip or a East V West day.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Going to have to try the rubbing the salt and sugar directly onto the fish.