PPB Sand Crabs - easy and delicious

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

PPB Sand Crabs - easy and delicious

Post by maverick »

Sand crabs are lovely if you don't mind eating with your fingers, as you pull the crabs apart. This is a really simple easy recipe & full of flavour.
Collect the ingredients, 2 or 3 big cloves of garlic (crushed) , tablespoon of chopped ginger, 1 lemon grass stalk, bunch fresh of coriander, 2 green chillis and small red chillis (to taste), salt 1 tablespoon, good twist of cracked pepper, 1 or 2 lemons, table spoon of brown sugar, splash of oil, onion, bunch fresh of basil, 2 cans of coconut milk, 1 cup of white wine, splash of sesame oil, big splash of fish sauce, bok choy & rice.
Most of the ingredients
Most of the ingredients
chopped up
chopped up
raw crabs
raw crabs
clean crabs cut in half
clean crabs cut in half
Chop up what needs to be chopped up, then in a big saucepan, add a good dash of oil and the chopped onion. Fry for a little while then add sesame oil, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, coriander stalks chopped up fine - (save the leaf for dressing), chopped basil, salt, pepper, sugar & chilli's. Fry for a couple of minutes over mid heat and then add the wine. Turn the heat up a bit and let it start to bubble, then add the coconut milk and heat until it bubbles. Tip the prepared crabs in and stir a bit. Cover and let bubble away. Taste the sauce as it is cooking and adjust the flavour to suit with either more sugar or salt or lemon juice. It is a bit hard to stir, so scoop up the sauce and pour over the top of the crabs that are not immersed. Stir them if you can. With about 2 -3 minutes to go, drop the chopped up bok choy into the saucepan. It will be ok if it just sits on top of the crabs. As long as there is a lid on top, the crabs will steam through. Give them about 10 minutes in total and they should be ready.
cooking in the big saucepan.
cooking in the big saucepan.
While all this is happening, cook some rice. Serve the rice in a bowl, drop some crab halves in and then scoop some sauce over the top and finish with fresh coriander.
Served with fresh coriander.  Messy to eat but magnificent.
Served with fresh coriander. Messy to eat but magnificent.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: PPB Sand Crabs - easy and delicious

Post by Ghurkin »

Pete you have outdone yourself on this recipe, bloody luverly looking feed there top pictures too :up: :up: :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Thats enough to make me lick the screen :? :clap: :clap: Looks fantastic well done
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Yacker wrote:Thats enough to make me lick the screen :? :clap: :clap: Looks fantastic well done
I already have :evilgrin:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
gom
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: pa (olive/green)

Post by gom »

Mav - good recipe and some great pics. Will have to do it myself soon but might try some mixed seafood - prawn, scallop, crab, fish, calamari. Might add kaffir lime leaf as well.
Yak PBs - Snapper 69cm/4.2kg; flathead 45cm; pike 70cm; tailor 30cm; bream 36cm; whiting 37cm; gar 34cm
IceManDude
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by IceManDude »

i'll put it simply......YUM!!!
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Very cool, add in some creamed corn, mussels, pipis and carrots/potatoes and you have a nice chowder
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

mate, my mouth watered whilst reading this...but i eat anything... :up:
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

gom wrote:Mav - good recipe and some great pics. Will have to do it myself soon but might try some mixed seafood - prawn, scallop, crab, fish, calamari. Might add kaffir lime leaf as well.
sorry forgot that one, it was included in the cooking, just not the description - I love lime and biting down on a tiny bit of lime leaf is magnificent. I think they were included in the photo, sorry.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

herbie wrote:Very cool, add in some creamed corn, mussels, pipis and carrots/potatoes and you have a nice chowder
that is another recipe completely......but something else I love.