Jumbo Gummy shark fishfingers with perfect potatoe wedges

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Jumbo Gummy shark fishfingers with perfect potatoe wedges

Post by Ghurkin »

Ingredients:
750gr gummy shark fillet cut into big fish finger sized pieces.
1 bag of seasoned flour.
2 eggs beaten with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
bowl of breadcrumbs.
6 largeish potatoes.
Olive oil.

Dont peel the potatoes, cut them into chunky wedge shapes and wipe them dry with paper towel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

put 1 bottle of olive oil in a saucepan, no more than 1/2 full !! and heat it up over a medium flame until it will fry a small piece of bread light brown, carefully place wedges into the hot oil a few at a time, use a slotted spoon, if you can fit them all in great if not, cook in batches for 3 minutes each batch, use a timer!!.

drain the wedges then leave them to go cold, this is what the fish and chipo shops do and it makes them taste better than beaut :)

next prepare the fish. I usually cut the gummy fillet into large chunky fish finger shapes about 25mm or so wide by the width of the fillet, have your seasoned flour in a bag, beaten eggs and lemon juice in a bowl and a plate to put it all on.

coated fish fingers, my daughter likes it without bread crumbs so I do some in just seasoned flour, its also nice just like this.

put the fingers on a plate and cover with glad wrap then place them into the fridge, this is a good time to imbibe an ale or three :pint:

about 1/2 an hour before serving time reheat the oil in the sauce pan this time on a hot heat, to tell if its ready drop a small piece of bread in, it should bubble briskly and turn dark brown reasonably quickly, watch out the oil doesnt get too hot and start too smoke, be bloody carefull!!, carefull lower the precooked wedges into the hot oil for about 2 minutes, then take them out, drian on paper towel and chuck then imto a baking tray and keep hot in a prewarmed oven.

put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frypan and heat it up over a gentle flame, load the pan up with fish fingers but dont crowd it, keep the heat low and check the gummy fingers regularily as the bastards burn suprisingly quick, turn them over and around it wont take long to cook them till they are a nice brown color.

Have the kids or the missus set the table after all you are cooking :up: put the cooked gummy fingers in the oven tray if needed.

serve them up with some lemon wedges, rabbit food (salad) or even a thin white cheese sauce and enjoy.

I think young Pickles face says it all, "just cant fit those last wedges in Dad"

Cheers, hope you enjoy this recipe, let me know how you go if you try it ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Sheepy
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Malibu Stealth 9

Re: Jumbo Gummy shark fishfingers with perfect potatoe wedge

Post by Sheepy »

:king:
hmmm sounds beautiful!!
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Pickles face says it all. Good stuff.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Nice. Well done Ghurk. That's a wonderful photo of the young fella enjoying some of the old mans best work.

One to treasure.

Cheers

Herb
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Some people go for the "money shot", Ghurk goes for the "Beer Shot" :thumbsup:
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

Great recipe ghurkwin.... those gummies sure do taste good....

the beer glass....... bit like wheres wally...its in the shot somewhere but in your case we dont have to look too far.

ps...hows the elaphantitus ?
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

paddlepop wrote:Great recipe ghurkwin.... those gummies sure do taste good....

the beer glass....... bit like wheres wally...its in the shot somewhere but in your case we dont have to look too far.

ps...hows the elaphantitus ?

"Crikey" they do come up a rippa don't they? :up:

As I told my children when they where much younger and I got a beer fermenter for xmas "beer is proof that santa loves me and wants me to be happy"

Leg still aches, especially after sitting down for awhile though I have graduated from a hobble to a limp, :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.