just a jib

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

just a jib

Post by cheaterparts »

I have been thinking for a while about a sail and was wondering if anyone has seen a set up to just run a jib

my thoughts have been to run a split mast that pivots forward, with the pivots somewhere to each side of the front deck
in front of my feet
this would keep everything away from the paddle if needed - it would spread to load to the sides of the yak ( where its stronger ) and also leave access to the front hatch
there would be no need for side support on the mast
when folded down ( forward ) it would be much the same shape as the bow so would not get in the way of fishing

then a basic jib between the front of craft to the top of the mast with a couple of small blocks
controling the sail would only be one jib sheet
and the spit mast shouldn't get in the way of the jib

and I even thought a couple of lee boards could be fixed to the split mast so when the mast was pulled up into position the lee boards would fold down

the mast would be made out of some light stainless or maybe aly

anyway it could be a winter project

still thinking
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: just a jib

Post by Ghurkin »

sounds like a good idea cheater, why not let the wind do the work ay :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Great idea.
This bloke has one and ive seen lots of jibs on yaks while researching sails for them
http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Artic ... ling2.html
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Jem Southwind (built)

Post by Tormentor »

I've seen some things that don't recommend jibs. Mainly from a supporting it ant it being quite a way out of the way to set it up and control it.

One thing we have to be careful with is having the sail so far forward that if you do become parted from the kayak it will continue to sail in the direction last pointed.... :o might be a long swim home (but at least you'll have lots of energy because you won't have paddled/peddled anywhere :P )
This assumes that you are just using the rudder to maintain a heading and sailing mainly windward.

If you try to sail into the wind you'll need a keel board or lee boards to stop the yak sliding sideways

if the main force of the sail is in front of the lee board (as a jib would be) again the yak will continue into the sunset. If the lee board is slightly in front of the centre of force the yak should turn into the wind and at least be in swimming range.

I'm no sailor but I have read about it a lot, sails can get you a long way from home in a short period if time so make sure you stay safe.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Tormentor wrote:I've seen some things that don't recommend jibs. Mainly from a supporting it ant it being quite a way out of the way to set it up and control it.

One thing we have to be careful with is having the sail so far forward that if you do become parted from the kayak it will continue to sail in the direction last pointed.... :o might be a long swim home (but at least you'll have lots of energy because you won't have paddled/peddled anywhere :P )
This assumes that you are just using the rudder to maintain a heading and sailing mainly windward.
I've taken this on board but have done some drawings and I think it will work out ok with the centre of effort being back far enough think
atm I plan to use a 5'6'' mast that is mounted about 5' back from the bow that folds forward and mounted in a stainless steel tabernacle
the first jib I wont to try is a 150 % genoa - that will have around 20 sq ft of sail
and later mabe a small gaff rig if it needs to balance it

anyway this w/e I'll look at building the tabernacle and mast base
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

will be interesting to see how it goes when done cheater, seems alot less complicated than the balance lugsail Im making.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

cheaterparts wrote: atm I plan to use a 5'6'' mast that is mounted about 5' back from the bow that folds forward and mounted in a stainless steel tabernacle
the first jib I wont to try is a 150 % genoa - that will have around 20 sq ft of sail

well it was a bit of a start today - slide over to spotlight and picked up some material for the genoa
and cut some stainless 1" thin wall tube for the mast
my drawing for the sail has a foot of 2 meters ,hight 2.280 ( luff lenth ) and the leech is 1.800 = 18 sq ft if my math is good

hopefully I'll have the mast standing tomorrow with fittings for a gaff rig also draw up now to take 13 sq ft of sail

the things you do when its no good to fish
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

cheaterparts wrote:
cheaterparts wrote: atm I plan to use a 5'6'' mast that is mounted about 5' back from the bow that folds forward and mounted in a stainless steel tabernacle

well it was a bit of a start today - slide over to spotlight and picked up some material for the genoa
and cut some stainless 1" thin wall tube for the mast
my drawing for the sail has a foot of 2 meters ,hight 2.280 ( luff lenth ) and the leech is 1.800 = 18 sq ft if my math is good

hopefully I'll have the mast standing tomorrow with fittings for a gaff rig also draw up now to take 13 sq ft of sail

the things you do when its no good to fish

Im also hoping to have the mast standing tommorrow :evilgrin: , but then Im just a funny bastard :up: sounds like your doing some good work there Cheater, cant wait to see how she handles out of JJ or LL twill be good to see how your jib goes against my balanced lugsail.