Baked Flatty with Mediterranean vegies

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Baked Flatty with Mediterranean vegies

Post by wokka1 »

Was down the bay yesdy checkin out some launch sites and managed a nice flatty off Beauy pier. (Course I had the rod in the car). This is the end result.

Lubed up some baby eggplant, white Zuchinni and vine toms with olive oil and baked em with a bit of rosemary and some pepper. After they were pretty much done I chucked the flatty in to join them for 20 mins. Sliced a couple of pockets into the flatties back and wedged an anchovy in each side with a dash of lemon juice splashed on top. Came up a treat with the meat coming off each side of the back bone in one piece. Served with some home made chips. I nuke em first then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with shichimi (japanese five spice) before baking them as well.

Good tucker, love flatty.
baked flathead.JPG
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
gom
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: pa (olive/green)

Re: Baked Flatty with Mediterranean vegies

Post by gom »

I like the look of it, Wokka. I've always filletted the flatties, so will give yours a try. Baby eggplant - bought or home-grown?
Yak PBs - Snapper 69cm/4.2kg; flathead 45cm; pike 70cm; tailor 30cm; bream 36cm; whiting 37cm; gar 34cm
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Not home grown unfortunately. I'm not so good at filleting the flatties so if they are less than about 40 cm I'll cook em whole most times and waste less flesh.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

That looks like the perfect feed in this weather Wokka, nice one :thumbsup:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
CaptMorgs
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: "Golden Papaya" Revo

Post by CaptMorgs »

nice one wokka.. I like the idea of the anchovy! I love anchovies
Cheers

Morgs
Bigyakka
Square eyes
kayak: 2010 P.A a sexy dune one

Post by Bigyakka »

Now i wish i pulled a flattie out for dinner instead of the pork :(
78.5cm, 5.5kg Snapper Sunnyside, 59cm flathead safety beach, 56cm Salmon safety beach, 60cm Snook Black Rock, 34cm King George Whiting Oliver Hill, 38.5cm Bream Patterson River
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

morgs616 wrote:nice one wokka.. I like the idea of the anchovy! I love anchovies
If ya like anchovies ya might like this Morgs, I use this one whenever I have a baked trout...goes well with the subtle trout flavour

(from another post)

"killa warm potato salad (spuds..use the pink skin ones..olive oil, mayo, chives ,parsely if ya have it and fine cut anchovies). "

Boil the quartered (skin on) spuds till cooked but still firm (no added salt the anchovies take care of that later. While still warm toss through good olive oil then mayo (not too much it's pretty rich). The spuds absorb the oil and mayo. Grab a few anchovies, fine dice them and toss them through too then top with chives / spring onions and parsely. Use as many anchovies to get the salty balance you want and serve. For a bit of colour you could also top with halved cherry tomatoes which will give it a little extra burst of flavour.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
CaptMorgs
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: "Golden Papaya" Revo

Post by CaptMorgs »

:clap: nice one I will have to give that one a go. cheers
Cheers

Morgs