Hobie revo

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Hobie revo

Post by Kingo »

Anyone got a review on a Hobie revo?
Yuz
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revo, of course :)

Re: Hobie revo

Post by Yuz »

yup, I want one :)
Kingo
Lord of the fish

Post by Kingo »

Me 2!
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

Ill give a quick review now.
I had one since 07. Updated to 10 this year. Over those years it went to hell and back and never missed a beat. Handled all bay conditions adequately, rivers and creeks adequately, offshore adequately and surf just as adequately. Notice a pattern? It really is the middle sibling of the bunch. It can do everything well but doesnt really excell in any area. I guess this is really a pro and a con at the same time.
Strorage around the cockpit is minimal. With only the to sidemesh pockets at hand. I started off by taking a box in the back, full of everything. That evolved later on into taking two rods and a small tackle bag and a pair of pliers. Drogue and anchor depending on conditions. Net or gaff are never taken out anymore.
Dam near perfect for lure or plastic fishing. Gets a little messy when using bait.
Sits at anchor well. it a bit of chop it anchors really well. The rounded bum end of the boat nicely floats over all but breaking waves coming from behind. I have seen the back end of other hobies sitting submerged when in any current at all. (not really an issue but worth pointing out.)
The bow hatch has heaps of room but is generally not accessable on the water as stability really sufFfers when your out of the seat.
Rods can be stored in hull via the centre hatch if you need to. If you remount the centre hatch so it opens side ways it is possible to put a couple of 7 foot one piece rods in there. minus the reels.
Fishing wise its a winner. Being low to the waterline its dead easy to land good fish without a net or gaff. It took me a while to get the technique down, but i have taken all sorts of differnt fish without any trouble. The bow point is close enough to get any rod tip around. I found any decent size keepers need to be bagged and stored in the rear tankwell area. unless its calm, then they go in the front hatch.
Carries four rods without issue. any more gets messy.
The ride. Not noticeably faster than the outback, it is definately easier on the legs. narrower beam and more pointed front end make it a better proposition in the chop. I wouldnt say its a wet ride, the seat scuppers drain properly, but a fair bit of water will come over the side. Waves from the rear will not reach you. waves from the front will. but only when going through surf. Speaking of surf, Launches tend to go well. as long as you keep pumping momentum is maintained and you can maintain a straight course without difficultly. The lines of the boat and the mirage means you can still maintain power regardless of weather the boat is on top of the water or below it. Entries are a different matter. the rounded bak end makes it a poor surfer, like most fishing yaks. Most entries end up as a side on unco job. Lean in and you will most likely make it but you will not inpress the chicks.
Stability. personally never had an issue. Generally if you see a wave coming you will not tip it over.
Travelling. The revo hull travels really well. Even lightly strapped ther is no movement and no noise. driving at night you often wonder if its still there. I mostly travelled right side up and fully rigged. with everything minus the rods and drive in place. nothing ever moved. even small items like packets if hooks and plastics stayed put.

When i picked up an AI is was thinking that i would keep the revo. that changed within an hour of putting my bum in the adventure hull. definately faster, definitely roomier, just as stable and a definately cooler. A wet arse seems to be the only real drawback i can see. the clincher for me was the adventures superior offshore ability. That come at a price, which is usability on inland rivers.

Knowing what i know now, i would not hesitate in recommending a post 09 revo. but if it was me i would be looking for extra 2 or 3 hundred and considering the adventure hull. Depends a bit on what you want to do. Outback or angler is probably more suitable in most PPB conditions. I say probably because i havent spent a lot of time in either of those boats.
Sean
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

I have an 09 which has done both fresh and salt but not outside the Bays so no surf experience. Sean has nailed everything and there's not much I can add.
I went the Revo over the Outback precisely because it was a compromise. I sometimes wish I had the extra deck space of the Outback especially when bait fishing but the paddling ease (yeah, I paddle it quite often, peddle when the arms get tired) makes up for that. I might add i haven't paddled an outback but common opinion has the revo slightly ahead as a paddler. The front hatch is do-able as long as you are careful and i transition from sitting to kneeling to access it for fish storage though I'm slowly culling what i carry behind the seat so i can move toward fish storage at the rear and not have to access the front at all while on water. I usually carry 4 rods and a landing net no worries, tackle all goes in the centre hatch, food in a bum bag attached to the rear of the seat and everything else either in a tub or loose on the rear deck. This would typically include anchor or drogue, small soft esky for bait if using it, handreel for squidlies and the trolley assembly.
You can't stand and fish in it (unless you have the sidekick outrigger kit :thumbsup: ) but it's not unstable you just can't plant your feet far enough apart to maintain balance.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3732
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Dognut, that was one of the best reviews of a yak that I've read. :thumbsup:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

The revo 11' got announced the other day at Icast to, now that could be an interesting little boat.
Yuz
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revo, of course :)

Post by Yuz »

ratfish wrote:The revo 11' got announced the other day at Icast to, now that could be an interesting little boat.
Awesome :) The baby Revo is only 16cm shorter than the OB, sleeker and lighter and it's got proper HANDLES :)
Kingo
Lord of the fish

Post by Kingo »

Great reviews dognut and wokka. Makes me want one even more I just can't decide between A revo and keep it simple or a pa and have all the works.....
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Go the pa mate or you will always be wondering....

If you ever wanna give it a bash say the word and i am sure we can arrange a test peddle.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360