Thai fish cakes. Finally pike are sorted.

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Re: Thai fish cakes. Finally pike are sorted.

Post by Yacker »

mingle wrote:I've never found pike soft - I'm talking about the short-finned pike (snook), not the long-finned (stinky pike)...

They make great fillets and I even rate them above snapper for taste and texture - particularly when battered and fried 'fish-n-chip shop' style...
Yeah, I would agree with that, having served up pike and snapper (both crumbed and fried) to the family the pike was the unanimous winnner. Was a bit surprised :shock:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
blahger
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Leyland P76 Island of Adventure

Post by blahger »

Recipe works well for fat salmon too...... :)
Affiliated with the badger protection league
http://www.badgerprotectionleague.com/
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

mingle wrote:I've never found pike soft - I'm talking about the short-finned pike (snook), not the long-finned (stinky pike)...

They make great fillets and I even rate them above snapper for taste and texture - particularly when battered and fried 'fish-n-chip shop' style...
I agree with you Mike - I also rate snook above snapper as an eating fish - we just fillet and shallow fry in egg and bread crumbs
as for the long finned pike I think its better as shark bait than and eating fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

cheaterparts wrote:as for the long finned pike I think its better as shark bait than and eating fish
Just BBQ 'ed my Snook whole, and basted them with lemon garlic butter as they cooked, beautiful. The test was when I asked swmbo if I should catch and cook them again that way. Big :thumbsup: was the answer.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

maverick wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:as for the long finned pike I think its better as shark bait than and eating fish
Just BBQ 'ed my Snook whole, and basted them with lemon garlic butter as they cooked, beautiful. The test was when I asked swmbo if I should catch and cook them again that way. Big :thumbsup: was the answer.

well done Mav, have to try them myself :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Jules
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: ... Back to my humble sit in

Post by Jules »

I'm with the guys that like snook better than pinkies. Hardly any bones and I find the flesh quite firm.
The biggest I have caught is mid 80's. I love em.

Another very easy way to cook is to fillet them, cover in red or green curry paste, leave for a few hours in fridge - then wrap in foil with coconut cream and put in oven for 20 min or so. Serve with steamed rice and green vegies. :thumbsup: