Maccayaks Outback "The Favorite"

Show off your kayak!
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Re: Maccayaks Outback "The Favorite"

Post by bilby »

Hey Mordy, i don't want to steal Geoffs thunder, but when i had my outback, i had my sounder mounted on a Ram mount exactly where Maccayaks is installed, works great and never got in the way. Plus the benefit is that its right where you can easily adjust the menu's etc without moving way forward. As for fish boxes, i used a 25 litre box from Bunnings, behind the seat, i cut a slot about 350mm x 75mm and just slid the fish in.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Post by maccayak »

The fish bin is just one I got from bunning. It is actually like a smaller bin you see that are used for fish or recycled bottles. I just kept cutting bits off it until it fitted in. If you guys want a close up pic, send me a PM. It works really well, and fits in no trouble. You need to make sure you can get it out easy, as when you have finished fishing, squid and stuff leave a lot of liquid behind. If the weather is reasonable, I leave the front hatch unclipped, so when you catch something, it just goes straight in the front easily.

The sounder location is fine on the side and does not get in the way of the ram rod holder. On my PA, I mounted the sounder in the sail mast, its a pain when the alarm goes off, because its too far away so I will be moving it to the side like the Outback. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003
Kybosh
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback yellow

Post by Kybosh »

Nice job Maccayak, looks great the fish bin is a great idea.

Mordy, I've got my sounder mounted in the recess next to the right hand side handle. That puts it a bit behind where Maccayak's is. I've found that it interferes with my paddle stroke. I don't use the paddle much, but sometimes in very tight creeks or shallow water it is easier to use the paddle than the fins. I'm thinking I might have to move it.
John
Insanity is just a state of mind. Man! is my mind in a state!
Imagehttp://www.southernflyfishers.org.au/
maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Post by maccayak »

I find that with the ram mounts, I can bend them down easily if I have to. I dont paddle a lot, just on normal launch. When I get out, i set everything up how I want them.

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Thanks fellas,
had a look at it yesterday afternoon ( with a beer in hand ) as you do to soften the cabin fever.
My first Yak Winter.
My yellow yak even looks fast on the rack in the shed....Outback Dry dock.
I will probably need one of those diamond shape base plates to fit in that area. I am trying to keep everything on one side,
so if i need to get back into it I won't do my self an injury on a RAM Ball
Last thing I need is to be taken to the Alfred casualty Dept to get a ram mount removed
"Oh I slipped inthe shower...." :oops:
Scott Lovig (in his video ) had an installation with the finder in the sail mount, good idea, just seemed a bit far away.
Probably best to get out on the water and see / imagine the funtionality of it all .
The ability to angle those mounts could save the day. But then there is the paddling issue.
Sure I'll get it right by snapper season. Better buy my Lavacores first or the Yak will develop dry rot
Thanks again
p.s Hello John from Southern Fly fishers
Tony
How come the wind stops blowing on Mondays?
TommyTucker
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by TommyTucker »

Nice work, i have a outback myself digging the rod holders. I just put a light on my yak in front of my right rod holder. I bought a adjustable 12 volt pond light so its water proof and spins around 360 wired it up to a battery. I placed the battery in the storage department between my legs and put a switch inside. Its definitely helps when you wanta stay out alittle when the fish are around. If ya want any details feel free to ask. Cheers Tommytucker :mrgreen:
Mordy
Lord of the fish

Post by Mordy »

Tommy tucker
Love to see a photo of the light.
Windknot, my outback sits upright on the roof racks (Rola Universal Watercraft carrier?)
Travels upright
I side it on to the back of my sedan with a few Marine carpet / pool noodle / cable tie pads.
I just wheel it up, rest the nose on the boot, disengage the wheelie holder lift the end of the kayak and the wheels drop then slide it up.
Then I just roll up the carpet and throw it in the boot.
Looks daggy but works like a dream.
P.s don't forget to tie it Down!!! :roll:
My central hatch has a wire trellis /mesh basket in it so all those needed things dont slide around the hull.
And yes Yellow = Fast
Mordy ( the one who still hasn't decided where to stick his fish finder!)
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

Thanks Mordy. Your information has come at a fortunate time for me, as I'm in the process of converting my old boat trailer into a kayak trailer. I want to be able to transport my yaks and have them up the right way.

The first thing I'll do is take off all the rollers and skids that are currently on it. I'll probably take off the mast that the winch is attached to as well. I will then fit some timber skids, orienting them either lengthways or sideways (haven't decided yet), so the trailer will accept 2 kayaks, side by side. I'll put some outdoor carpet on the skids to protect the yaks.

Once I've got the trailer sorted, I'll be able to carry 4 yaks at once, two on the roof and two on the trailer. It will be perfect for family camping holidays.

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Mordy
Lord of the fish

Post by Mordy »

Windnot maybe you could use the rollers on your new kayak trailer I was looking at some at BCF
Much like a tradies ladder roller system
Here are some pictures of the "carpet rack"
Bilbys trailer and vic road regs might intrest you. http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1142
Mordy
Attachments
carpet slide2.jpg
carpet slide_red.jpg