Fish'n'Dives Outback & Trailer Setup

Show off your kayak!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Fish'n'Dives Outback & Trailer Setup

Post by maverick »

I like the basket idea, good one. :thumbsup:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

maverick wrote:I like the basket idea, good one. :thumbsup:
Cheers Mav :thumbsup: I actually had a deep tackle box in there but wanted to be able to fit a couple of plano type boxes, rig holders and a few packs of sp's in there at the same time and that's what drove me to try again. Hopefully the on the water test works out well!
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

Awesome job you've done buddy.
Only one thing left now. Go fishing. ;)
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

I viewed your trailer today at LL Eion, "grouse" setup. Hope you get amongst 'em over in S.A.

Cheers',

"THE POG
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Pog wrote:I viewed your trailer today at LL Eion, "grouse" setup. Hope you get amongst 'em over in S.A.

Cheers',

"THE POG
Good to meet you today POG, Sue's stronghold is a great way of putting faces to names on here. Unfortunately the SA has already been and gone and it was too windy to get out while I was there apart from a very short trip in the Glenelg at Nelson on the way back. I did get to do some recon on some good spots for future trips though and got to pick the brains of the locals. Hopefully get back there with the yak before next Christmas rolls around.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Re: Fish'n'Dives Outback & Trailer Setup - Going Sailing

Post by Seasherpa »

Holidays again so that means more tweaking of the setup:
Picked up a sail on gumtree for a steal $150 compared to the $475 new, so made the trip to AK&S for a set of amas only to make it home and see that sawtell had a set for sale :evil: Anyway the next test was to see if the sail would fit in the lock- up box on my trailer and it did perfectly. It then sat in there out of the wind and rain for a couple of weeks until Merv suggested a yellowbelly hunt at Albert Park and it saw the light of day. Was great fun but the lurching under gusts of wind takes a little getting used to, now i just have to learn how to use it properly. Not overly happy with the hobie furling kit though, the rope slips on the pully despite being tight, I think the bungee cord at the back isn't strong enough to keep the rope under enough tension. Its not the end of the world though and I can always knock something up it if comes to it.
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Two other mini- mods have been made, a set of scupper plugs in the back joined to the seat pin using a left oveer runner from the anchor trolley kit. Nice and easy and stops them getting lost.
photo 1.JPG
Last mod was to replace the lights on my trailer with LED sealed ones, I was so sick of checking my lights before I left only to have an indicator or brake light not working when I arrived at my launch spot. The connections behind the bulbs were crap and used to lose connection from the vibrations/bumps or depending on what mood they were in so soldered in a sealed set tonight and I'm ready to go again!
photo 4.JPG
Last edited by Seasherpa on 05 May 2014, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Looking good buddy.
Have you had the outback out sailing yet.

I just re-wired my trailer with new led's and I'm so glad I did, no stress wondering if people can see me stop or turn.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Notbing better then a set of LED trailer lights! Worry free towing.

And then Nothing worse then seeing sometning for sale after you just bought it from the shop! Thanks for reminding me about them, it's time to drop the price haha!

I was pretty keen on that sale a few weeks ago, bargin!!!
Very Good choice getting the ama's with the sail, I've seen people sail with out them but I wouldn't trust it.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Finally got around to making the livewell

Post by Seasherpa »

Given the weather forecast last weekend, I went out to pick up a few parts to finish my drybox/livewell that has made slow progress over the last while. Last mod for it was adding the anchor holder to the right hand side.
Anchor holder
Anchor holder
photo 3.JPG (34.68 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
The shopping list was pretty basic:
- manual hand pump
- 2m of 25mm hose
- drain plug
- skin fitting

First step was to remove the rod holders to replace some supposedly 'stainless' bolts. At least it gave me a chance to re-silicone all the holes.
Next up I had a play around on where to mount the pump. Wanted it on the well rather than the yak to keep it fully removable. Finallyy settled on a spot where i can just reach back and give it a quick pump. The ama crossbar doesnt get in the way.
Drain plug and skin fitting siliconed ad fitted and then it was just a case of connecting the hoses.
Nothing too complicated and now I don't have to tease the seals with a keeper net when I forget to buy ice :thumbsup:
Here's a few pics:
Rear view water level drain plug on left (might add another half way down for the flatties)
Rear view water level drain plug on left (might add another half way down for the flatties)
Inlet pipe
Inlet pipe
Manual pump
Manual pump
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

Looking good mate.
Your outback has become a real weapon.