Post by gus fitzroy »

Nice upgrade to the setup Eoin. :up:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Mast holder Wedge mount

Post by Seasherpa »

gus fitzroy wrote:Nice upgrade to the setup Eoin. :up:
Thanks mate we will have to catch up for a fish again soon to see if the flattie curse is still going strong :lol:

Here's another quick mod I threw together.
After getting the sail I was at a loss as to what to do with my ram wedge mount and rod holder that used to live there. I threw this together today to allow me to keep the third ram holder for bait fishing when chasing gummies and reds. Depending on what way the yak is facing on the day I can fit it snugly in any of the four molded in rod holders in the outback thanks to a wrap of velcro tape around the base.
mast wedge mount rod holder.jpg
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Fish'n'Dives Outback & Trailer Setup

Post by Jacko »

I threw this together today to allow me to keep the third ram holder for bait fishing when chasing gummies and reds. Depending on what way the yak is facing on the day I can fit it snugly in any of the four molded in rod holders in the outback thanks to a wrap of velcro tape around the base.

Good idea Eoin,
I like the idea of being able to move the ram rod holder to any of the moulded rod holder locations.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Thanks Rob I had originally toyed with the idea of putting it here:
Ram mount.jpg
I wasn't sure how strong it would be as the yak wall is quite thin there so I opted for the PVC mount. Its more versatile ad I don't have to worry about bumping it with the mirage drive pedals.
JoelS88
Apprentice

Post by JoelS88 »

Fantastic Trailer setup!

I'm currently looking at trailer options as I now how two outbacks to lug around when the girlfriend wants to come with. Your setup looks exactly like the type of thing I am looking for as it also has a bit of storage. Would be interested on some more info on your trailer setup if you wouldn't mind? I can see that it is an easytrailer but did you have to make all the custom parts? (e.g.frame for second yak, slide rails?) Any info on how I can go about getting my own would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
JoelS88
Apprentice

Post by JoelS88 »

*edit :shock: doh!

should have read the topic a litte before making a fool of myself. That being said would be keen for a similar frame so if I went down this path where could I source one of these as I don't have any welding skill to speak of...
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

JoelS88 wrote:*edit :shock: doh!

should have read the topic a litte before making a fool of myself. That being said would be keen for a similar frame so if I went down this path where could I source one of these as I don't have any welding skill to speak of...
I can't weld either mate so I got Cheaterparts (member on here) to make up the frame for me. He's built a fair few trailers in his time and does a tidy job. I only got the easy trailer because we were moving into an apartment at the time and I thought I would need it to fold up if a 2nd carspot wasn't available. If you don't need it to fold, I would have a whole trailer made up to suit your needs and have exactly what you want. The easy trailers have their downsides too - weak axles, suspension is very stiff especially for light loads, smaller wheels, and a lot of flex in the frame. You also need to bring spare bolts and spanners on long trips just in case something comes loose! If I was you I'd get a quote from Cheater for the whole job and compare it to the cost of an easy trailer and accessories, I reckon you'd have a better trailer for the money.
JoelS88
Apprentice

Post by JoelS88 »

Thanks for the tips Eoin.I dont really need something foldable and if something can be done for a comparable cost well then its a no brainer. Might shoot Cheaterparts a PM for a quote.

Thanks again,

Cheers
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Easy addition

Post by Seasherpa »

I've dumped the washing basket install from the centre hatch as it still moved around too much for my liking and prevented access to internal nuts and bolts. The replacement is a tackle bag on a leash to stop it disappearing inside the hull. I wanted to add a ring inside the hull to clip the leashes too to save messing around with trying to tie things to the scuppers so I ended up using a left over P clip from my anchor trolley and attached it to the underside of one of my ram rod holder bases on the gunwale. The Hobie hook was also a left over from the trolley so I've used it to attach my bilge pump to the ring in the hull using some bungee. Now its always there in case of emergency and I don't have to remember to pack it.
Stole the pick off Josh
Stole the pick off Josh
Bilge pump.jpg
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

A really impressive setup you have there Owen, especially the removable 'PVC Ram Rod holder"........may have to pinch that idea myself....Lol.

Have met you and some of the lads at "The Stronghold" some time back, and look forward to doing a trip at LL in the near future, (once I start feeling not so crook).

Cheers,

"The Pog" :thumbsup: