Diving with seals The Prom

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback

Diving with seals The Prom

Post by DOMINATOR »

I was invited to my Dive club "Get Under" annual Melbourne Cup weekend dive trip away to Wilsons Prom (should have been chasing red carp) What I experienced was truly amazing diving with the seals an experience I don't think I would ever experience any where else in the world. The seals actually want to play with you, they approached us and just wanted to play. u could stir them up once they went quiet by doing barrel rolls and summersaults under water in which they would then want to play. There was a bigger one around who wasn't to and the only daunting thing was getting in and out of the boat as we were told the night before during a safety meeting that I wasn't able to snorkel as I may be man in grey suit AKA Great White Shark bait. we were told to descend quickly to the bottom and to under no circumstance spend time on the surface. The day was perfect low northerly winds with the sun out all day but we called it quits after the days diving as the weather was terrible and didn't look like we could get out again. so we packed up all our stuff the next morning under gale force winds and headed home just in the nick of time as it started to pour down...
Last edited by DOMINATOR on 21 Nov 2013, 02:14, edited 3 times in total.
ANYONE NEEDING A FULLY LICENSED AND INSURED ELECTRICIAN CONTACT DOM ON 0409135701
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger

Re: Diving with seals The Prom

Post by DOMINATOR »

how do u post from utube?
ANYONE NEEDING A FULLY LICENSED AND INSURED ELECTRICIAN CONTACT DOM ON 0409135701
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Post by BKA »

Just stick the ueVJXJKMUlA part in the youtube section.

Cheers :thumbsup:
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by DOMINATOR »

BKA wrote:Just stick the ueVJXJKMUlA part in the youtube section.

Cheers :thumbsup:
Thanks mate!!
greenhorn
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Aquayak Snapper

Post by greenhorn »

Wow that's sensational, what an experience.
So awesome that they're all just chilling out and checking you out lol, reminds me of a puppy when they come up and mouth you gently when they want to play - throw the ball mate
Did you see any sharks? Lol
Scuttlebutt
Square eyes
kayak: Revolution. Pro Angler. 12. The Strong Hold.

Post by Scuttlebutt »

Awesome! Did you see winchbitch's Puppy?
Scuba Sue.
PB. Safeway Banana Prawn's bought as Bait.
PB. Gummy Shark 83.5cm. No Microsurgery required to fillet this sucker.
PB. Scuttlebutts' Strong Hold.
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Nice ....

I was thinking about scuba diving again last night.
But because I learned and dived majority in tropic water, wearing full 5mm wetsuit to dive in melbourne's water daunts me abit .............
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by DOMINATOR »

Didn't see any sharks that I am aware of although one of the other videos there is something in the back ground (not sure what and don't want to really try to get to the bottom of it)
Wetsuits these days have come such a long way they are thinner warmer and a lot less restrictive. I didn't find any difference to the temp change other than I have to wear a hood (this is terrible when severely hung over)
I said the same thing that they are like puppies and was told that they are very similar in DNA we were told to take anything brightly coloured off as they will pinch it and start playing with it.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Your chances of being bitten by a shark are pretty slim even if diving with their food.

Then again I know a bloke who lost his leg diving with seals.

It's when they suddenly all piss off that you need to worry!!!
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by DOMINATOR »

There was a time during the dive where it seemed all of the seals were between me and the shore like they all of a sudden didn't want to venture out. We were pretty safe on the bottom it is when u are sitting on the surface is the problem