l2andom's Revo13+AI-Updated whenever new things come along!

Show off your kayak!
l2andom
Square eyes
kayak: Adventure Island, WildySys T140, Outback

Re: l2andom's Revo 13 - Updated whenever new things come alo

Post by l2andom »

laneends wrote:Just wondering if you have fitted the bigger rudder yet?

Pros and cons?
harder to lift?
Improved tracking against wind/tide?
increased line tangling issues?

If you can add one to a revo then I guess there is no reason it wont fit a Quest.

I saw somewhere where someone offset the rear carry handle by attaching it via bungy to side padeye, so that you can lift rear whilst rudder is in stowed position.
I have it fitted and on, but I have not been able to take it out yet. I should have some time either Wednesday or Thursday to go out for a spin. It fits perfectly fine on the 13 and the bungy that was originally there to hold the original rudder can hold it in place. I don't find it harder to lift because when I lift my Yak, it goes over my head. If I am lifting just the rear, I don't have the rudder strapped down so I can move it whatever way needed until I am done, then I strap it down. I'll post some thoughts of it after I've taken her out, but I can't see many cons. Possibly line issues, but I'm usually pretty vigilant about where my lines are as to not have them get tangled up. I've only ever had 1 line issue with the kayak and that was my first time out on it :lol: .

Thanks Deefa, I'm pretty happy with where my yak is right now. The only thing I want to work on is how to store fish better. The native bag is great, but scooting up to unzip and slide fish in each time I catch something I want to keep is somewhat annoying. And the bag can sometimes get in the way if I'm not careful of where my dangling lines are when I'm unhooking fish. I know most people use coolers/eskis but I like to keep my accessories strapped down inside the crate I have behind me and really dont want to get a cooler that can fit all of it plus fish. I think that would be just a bit too big. So if anyone has any possible solutions, I'm up to try some out :up:
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

Been thinking about a rudder upgrade myself
Mainly for when I need to surf the waves in
I reckon the small one can lose contact where the bigger one shouldn't
What do you reckon?
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

I have done the rudder upgrade on the Outfitter, Oasis, Outback and even the PA.
The larger rudder should be standard in my opinion, but then they wouldn't be able to sell it to us would they :roll: .
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

l2andom wrote:So if anyone has any possible solutions, I'm up to try some out :up:
You could try doing something like I did for my Quest (same hatch as the Revo).

http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... bag#p88721

This hatch worked out well and provided a lot of room to store fish and ice in a sealed, insulated area. It was also good for transporting fish as I could pull the whole lot out of the yak and into the car boot for transport. The method of sealing everything could be improved on as the contact glue failed over time causing the bag to start to leak. As long as you can get a good seal (plastic weld/stronger bond etc) then I think the concept is still a good one. :up:
0408 565 763
l2andom
Square eyes

Post by l2andom »

Hey Shane, thanks for that. Might have to give it a try. Nothing else of mine goes in the front hatch other than battery, so it's just unused space :lol: . I need to come up with a way to be able to open up and close the hatch a bit easier/better. Any one with ideas for that? Glad I brought this up! :D
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by isportfish »

Yep upgraded rudder should be standard as already suggested. One of the first things you should do to a revo or any hobie with this style of rudder. So much more confidence when coming in through shore break as able to keep pointed where you want.

As for fish storage I have a large flexi tub in the front hatch. Just add ice packs to keep catch cool on warmer days. Can even fit larger fish such as gummies or 60+ snapper. Transfer to esky when return to car.
l2andom
Square eyes

Post by l2andom »

Thanks to Bjspinner I got my battery all sorted out and good to go. I took the yak out on the water today to test out the rudder and was quite pleased :yahoo: . There is a definite increase in ummmm handling? I guess the word would be? Lol. The yak turns A LOT better, probably not a massive improvement over the standard one but it is quite noticeable which to me is fantastic. I was able to control my drifts better with just the new rudder and no chute which was quite cool, didnt slow the speed down any but was able to keep myself going and facing whatever direction no problems at all :thumbsup: . I would definitely put it down as a high priority to do item for your hobie as it's not very expensive and it is very easy to do. Anyways, back to the battery. Here are some pictures I took. I bought the Hobie battery kit and had been using that, I changed over to a LiFe battery that I got from hobbyking and got most of my general questions and possibly more answered by Bjspinner, thanks :up: . The new battery now sits in the rear of the kayak as I am planning on giving the whole front hatch fish well idea a go. The front hatch originally housed my big battery.

I drilled some holes through the top hatch and fed some zipties through and sealed her up real well.

The box inside also has holes drilled through it and the same zipties go through that box as well. It keeps the big box section there permanently unless I want it gone and I can just clip off the zipties.

The battery is fastened to the lid of the box and has not caused any problems so far with removal and charging.

The container with no battery in it.

Pretty happy with how it came out and it's definitely out of the way completely now. Most of the time I only use my FF for depths and bottom, I don't really look for fish. So I could probably go without, but it's nice to have. Also the weight difference isn't too huge, but it is quite noticeable. :up:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Might want to add a security strap over that battery box lid, as those sistema clips are likely to fail without notice. Have you sealed the zip tie holes in the hatch lid?

When I mentioned lifting rudder I actually meant retracting it whilst out on the water.
l2andom
Square eyes

Post by l2andom »

laneends wrote:Might want to add a security strap over that battery box lid, as those sistema clips are likely to fail without notice. Have you sealed the zip tie holes in the hatch lid?

When I mentioned lifting rudder I actually meant retracting it whilst out on the water.
Yeah, looking to add some extra security for the lid. May add something that goes around the box and the lid. All holes drilled have been sealed up as well. :up:

I have to pull with slightly a bit more effort to get the rudder out of the water, but everything runs pretty smoothly. Nothing really noticeable in that department.
skipper
Apprentice
kayak: Double Strike 3.5

Post by skipper »

Hey.

Aren't those reinforced stripes in the inside of the lid thick enough, so you could make holes there and cable tie the battery box on them (without drilling holes through the lid)? To late now, but worth a thought for any otherone, trying to do the same...

Cheers