Finally got it to load...re-entry video

A forum for member's kayak or fishing related videos
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Finally got it to load...re-entry video

Post by yakhangger »

PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Re: Finally got it to load...re-entry video

Post by vikodin »

Good stuff seeing you guys practising big big big :thumbsup:

I flip mine over by gripping the base of the mirage drive fins and leaning back wards.
I can show you a much easier way to re enter an outback too that takes almost no energy, I used to mount mine from the side until Bretty showed me this way.

You probably can't see how easy it is by the pics I'll have to do a video.
Pitty you didn't give it a try at the end when you sat at the bow.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13414
Wizaed1
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Angler 14 Olive

Post by Wizaed1 »

Great work, vid showed just how hard it is to get back in. Practice that can save your life :thumbsup:
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Good stuff. thanks for posting.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

G'day Cob, good work on the video (second not secound :lol: :lol: Youtube need spell check :lol: ) and great to see you all getting out there having a go at your re-entry :clap: .

Just a reminder about getting your legs up; In cold water environments (PPB, WPB winter, inland lakes streams etc), every second you are in the water, your outer extremities are beginning to tire & shut down. Fingers, toes, quickly followed with legs and arms. The longer you spend setting up to right the kayak and the extra attempts trying to re-mount, really take there toll and it can happen pretty quick.
If you do have trouble getting your legs up when wearing shorts, then maybe you should consider wearing neoprene pants/long-john as the neoprene will help float your legs up making re-entry a lot easier. In winter they also offer thermal protection and in summer they offer UV protection, something we all need to be aware of. As I have always believed; "dress for an extended immersion, not for looks, or just comfort".

Another thing to consider when out practicing re-entry with a group, is how to successfully assist someone who maybe cramped in the legs or having some other issue. A perfect example it can happen, would you have been able to assist draining a SIK, then a re-mount.

While most of the following have been performed with sit-in-kayaks (SIK), the principles are the same, plus you never know when you may have to assist a SIK assist. I have posted these links in another thread, and will do them again here;
This one is by Wayne Horodowich and is especially important (one of the best I have read I think), as it covers the approach of a panicked swimmer/kayaker and teaches how to best approach/deal with it; http://www.useakayak.org/recoveries_res ... roach.html

From canoe.org, a pdf o kayak re-entry & assist http://www.canoe.org.au/site/canoeing/a ... escues.pdf

Some good Vidoe's, the first one's are SIK's but the techniques are good to watch;
http://www.broadbandsports.com/node/27339&gvsm=1

This one is a stern mount, Note how low the stern goes and how easy it is to get on top. In the case of a fishing kayak with creates etc, this may be best practiced with a bow mount, then the person getting back on, may only have to deal with rod holders, and if they can be removed prior to the re-mount, then they should be able to reach the seat with reasonable ease.

This one is an SOT, he demonstrates a line tangle his PFD both off and on water so you get a clear picture, very good to watch.

Having trouble righting your kayak, do a stern mount with it upside down, then roll it.

All different scenario's but handy to know or better still practiced, just in case.

Hope it helps
Eddie
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for taking and posting the video Merv.
Thanks also for posting the invite for Vyakers to join you & Eoin on the day.
It was a good day and I enjoyed meeting you & Eoin & practicing in a group.
I ended up with bruises on my chest and legs that I didn't notice happen at the time.
Next time will have a go at the remount method on the bow.
Rob.