Show off your DIY project!
nasman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Wavedance Sierra

Outback Rocket Launcher Complete!!!

Post by nasman »

What the?

New Rig Set up for my Hobie Outback

Just scroll through the photos if you can’t be bothered reading the detail.

It all started with a need to carry lots of gear including net, stakeout/flag pole and rods.
Rocket Launcher
Rocket Launcher
After considerable thought, plan and discussion (much of it on Vyak), I decided to tackle the project. Much of the inspiration also came from the east vs west in Altona not long ago. Thanks guys for showing off your rigs. Many great set ups so this is what I came up with.

I built the RL with 40mm PVC. Overall, I bought two long lengths plus all the joints. I already had the glue. I did most of the cutting and shaping with a grinder. Ended up with 2 holders angled for trolling out each side and they are good for holding the net in a handy position. The 2 holders on each end go all the way down so can hold long butts. The rest in between are of varying size and angles to suit long or shorter butts. I also made 2 holders for the front to keep the rods away from the spray. All screws have been carefully placed so as to not interfere with rods. The gap between centre holders comes in handy too. I gave the unit close to 3 coats of grey enamel paint (colour grey primer). $3.15 a can from Bunnings and 2 cans should do you. Nice finish on the PVC. All I did was washed it all down with metho and dried it off thoroughly. Then spray. The overall project was a little fiddly at times but quite easy really.

Next came the need for fish storage.
Tub 1 - Web.jpg
Picked this tub up from Ikea. Perfect size for most table fish and easily holds a half decent snapper and some ice. And when needed, the tap on the side allows me to top up regularly with fresh water becoming a manual livewell basically.

Next came the important need for tackle/snacks storage.
Basket 1 - Web.jpg
This crate fits perfectly on top of the tub and keeps my gear higher above water level. The netting in the front is actually a mesh bag from a $2 shop and helps things flying out when I come to a screaming halt.

Now see it all together and it starts to make some sense.
Rocket Launcher 2 - Web.jpg
Rocket Launcher  3 - Web.jpg
Rocket Launcher 4 - Web.jpg
Haven't tried it out yet but I am confident it will work well for me.
Last edited by nasman on 20 Jul 2010, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
><((((º>......><((((º>.....<º))))><.....<º))))><
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Re: Rocket Launcher Set up for Outback Complete!!!

Post by Bozzie »

Geez, Looks like a bloody porcupine. Put a torch in each one and use it in the Australia Day Parade. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only kidding, looks great. Will the outriggers hold when trolling if a decent fish latches on? I'd hate to think of the idea of loosing the lot.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

:DExcellent job there Nasman neat and tidy Well done.
One suggestion see if you can get hold of a grey
milk-crate to blend in with your color scheme Cheers Jim ;)
Last edited by Babylon on 19 Jul 2010, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

A lot of thinking went into that rocket launcher nasman. I like the way you've angled out the outside holders to give you a better angle for trolling purposes.

I've got a couple of questions for you. What is the purpose of the front rod holders? I assume it's to keep your reels up and away from the water, is that right? Why didn't you angle them like the outside ones on your rocket launcher?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse when I ask you this, but just how many rods do you take out on the one fishing trip?

All in all, you've done a great job. ;)

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Windknot wrote:I'm not trying to be a smart arse when I ask you this, but just how many rods do you take out on the one fishing trip?
I hope he dosn't take the full quiver :shock:
Bilby
Bill 0409139460
nasman

Post by nasman »

Bozzie wrote:Geez, Looks like a bloody porcupine. Put a torch in each one and use it in the Australia Day Parade. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only kidding, looks great. Will the outriggers hold when trolling if a decent fish latches on? I'd hate to think of the idea of loosing the lot.
I call it the crown. My wife just looked at it and rolled her eyes. As for the unit holding together. It is pretty solid and it has all been glued together but really, only time will tell.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
nasman

Post by nasman »

babylon wrote::DExcellent job there Nasman neat and tidy Well done.
One suggestion see if you can get hold of a grey
milk-crate to blend in with your color scheme Cheers Jim ;)
Thanks. Thought about spraying this one grey but I reckon I am better off waiting for a nice grey one to come along. This green one has been in the family for years.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
nasman

Post by nasman »

Windknot wrote:A lot of thinking went into that rocket launcher nasman. I like the way you've angled out the outside holders to give you a better angle for trolling purposes.

I've got a couple of questions for you. What is the purpose of the front rod holders? I assume it's to keep your reels up and away from the water, is that right? Why didn't you angle them like the outside ones on your rocket launcher?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse when I ask you this, but just how many rods do you take out on the one fishing trip?

All in all, you've done a great job. ;)

Mick
Like you said, the front rod holders are really just to lift the rods out of the spray. Hobie sell them for around $20 odd but been that I had so much tubing left over, I just made these up quickly. I didn't even think to angle them or do anything special with them to be honest. I was focused more on the rear ones.

As for the amount of rods, it really depends on the style of fishing and where. I don't get out often enough so when I do, I like to stay out for a while so I generally take out between 3 to 4 rods for different purposes. It is nice to have different rods set up for different purposes rather than re-rigging continuously out on the water. That is, I can have different rods set up and ready to go for SPs, HBs, squidding, bait fishing, etc. I used to fish alone on a 15ft runabout so I am used to taking it all and be prepared for anything. However, I also have a net, a stakeout pole which doubles as a flag, and sometimes a 360 degrees light among other tools I like to have. There will be times when I fill all spaces no problems.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
agisland
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie

Re: Outback Rocket Launcher Complete!!!

Post by agisland »

Hi Nasman

Just wondering about the ikea plastic tub - Is it the 37ltr or the 60ltr? I noticed they have two sizes listed on the ikea website. Mingle & I were talking about it last week while fishing Cleeland Bight.
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Re: Outback Rocket Launcher Complete!!!

Post by Yacker »

Great work Nasman,

Good to see the obligatory milk crate 8-) Really like the live well, that does look the goods.
Is the hinge on the lid sturdy?

Tim
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time