My really cool, very new, portable gas Smoker.

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

My really cool, very new, portable gas Smoker.

Post by maverick »

I picked up a new gas powered portable smoker the other day and boy am I impressed. I don’t mind smoked fish and have also smoked scallops and squid. My old $60 tin thing from BCF rusted out and I haven't replaced it. I did try making a pretend smoker using the hooded BBQ, as well as an attempt using the good oven baking trays, for which I was well and truly chastised when one came out ruined. :oops:
This smoker is small enough to take away camping and just hooks up to a normal gas BBQ bottle. It also doubles as a normal oven, without the smoke. Using it is really simple, put in the wood chips or pellets or sawdust in the tray. Fill the top tray with water, light the burner let it smoke up for a few minutes and then place the food in it on a tray.
So my first attempt was to soak some Salmon and Snook fillets & a Squid Hood in a salt & maple syrup brine mix for 30 minutes. In then went in the smoker for an hour. The temperature is adjustable and I just turned it right down so that the smoke well and truly penetrated.
Finally, smoked fish that tastes like smoked fish. The flavour was perfect, very smoky - the way I like it. The squid was extremely morish and apart from being eaten on the spot, it would go nicely tossed through a pasta dish.
My next effort was a whole chicken. The online recipe said to remove the back bone and flatten the chook, which seemed quite easy. It was left for 24 hours in a salt and honey brine mix. This time, to make the chook even smokier, I soaked the wood chips in white wine for 30 minutes and then drained the wine from the chips, lit the burners and away it went.
I think I am partially responsible for the smoke haze covering Melbourne at the moment. :oops:
2 hours later out came a very smoky, almost boned chicken that was left over night and the tossed through a Caesar salad last night for dinner. Awesome.
Now the really good news – the importer is a bit of a fisherman and after some negotiation with him, he has come up with an offer for VYAK members. The normal R.R.P. for the smoker with 2 trays is $249.
He is going to sell the Smokers to VYAK members for $219, and donate $10 to VYAK for each Smoker sold. :thumbsup: He is also including an extra shelf as part of the package. :up:
The only catch is that the units need to be picked up from either Nunawading or Sunshine. They can be couriered to an address if required, you just need to include your postcode and they will give you a delivery quote. Payment for the unit is either in person, by credit card over the phone or EFT.
If you would like to buy a Smoker, contact Hark Enterprises on (03) 9873 2711 or email sales@hark.com.au . The units come with a 12 month warranty.
I have no relationship with these guys.
You will need to buy smoking pellets, wood chips or smoking sawdust as none are provided with the unit. I bought different smoking materials from Bunnings, Masters and BCF. I found that Bunnings had the best value wood chips.

You will also need a gas BBQ bottle.
The total range can be viewed at http://www.hark.com.au I have the Hark Patio Gas Smoker.
The box.
The box.
Unpacked, nicely protected.
Unpacked, nicely protected.
The pieces.
The pieces.
The finished product.
The finished product.
Take about 30 minutes to put it together, pretty simple.
Take about 30 minutes to put it together, pretty simple.
The finished product with first lot of sawdust in place, ready to season the smoker.
The finished product with first lot of sawdust in place, ready to season the smoker.
The raw fish, marinated for 30 minutes.
The raw fish, marinated for 30 minutes.
I can smell it from here.
I can smell it from here.
The boned chook.
The boned chook.
The cooked chook
The cooked chook
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Re: My really cool, very new, portable gas Smoker.

Post by cobby »

They do a mean roast potato too. Awesome oven/smoker
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

Looks great. It's made me hungry :(
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
Jules
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: ... Back to my humble sit in

Post by Jules »

That's a serious unit!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

and the food just keeps coming out.

My first batch of bacon. Marinated for a week in maple syrup and brine mix, with a little onion and garlic salt. Smoked for 5 hours and cooled in the fridge over night. Just had to take & cook a couple of slices off this morning for a test. (the ribs are offcuts from the pork belly)

Spectacular :yahoo: .

Sure it is a little more work than buying a packet off the shelf, but nothing on the shelf tastes like this.
bacon.jpg
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

:o... Ok now that's just cruel

:eh: now I'm REALLY hungry
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
Yakatack
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Ebay cheepy and a Spirit

Post by Yakatack »

That's a good price and as for the food! well im bloody starving now... Bacon with no preservatives has to be good :thumbsup:

I have been into the woodwork for the last few weeks and have heaps of planner shavings that are going into the bin, what a waist Mav I should use them myself..

Silky Oak, Red Box and Black Wood, I haven't started on the Iron Bark yet..
They are only shavings but if anyone wants me to bag it you are welcome to drop in when you are down this way, just let me know.

I recommend Treated pine for long time storage :twisted:
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

Ohhh I want one :up: :up: was going to make my own like you did out of a old BBQ but might just have to save my pennies and get one of these :thumbsup:
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

I did soak some wood shavings in white wine for some extra flavour and it worked a treat.
brett73
Square eyes
kayak: hobie PA

Post by brett73 »

Must ring and see if it can be jetted for natural gas. Do you think it wold do jerky :?:
There are recipes for jerky but it just mentions using the electric one.