Loading yak on ute

Show off your kayak!
Marcel
Apprentice
kayak: Lunar12,

Loading yak on ute

Post by Marcel »

Has anyone got a suggestions on covering to back /bottom of a kayak, when I load my yak on my roof the rear (keel if you like) drags on the road, I am worried it will scrape through, is there something I can put on it that may help.Desperate for some advice!!!
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Loading yak on ute

Post by shane »

I'm not sure of your setup but try planting the rear on the ground at an angle to the ute then lift the front around so it rests on the rear/bar. Then go to the rear of the yak and lift and slide it up. This way the rear doesn't get dragged. If this isn't possible with your setup then we'd need some more information on it and what you're currently doing.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

scrap of carpet or mat on the ground.

How is it mounted on ute? Do you have a rear bar over tray, or is it leant up against cab and it drags on ground as you pull it up?
Marcel
Apprentice

Post by Marcel »

Hey guys thanks for your help, I lift the front of my yak onto the rear roof bars, the height of the bars coases the rear of the boat to drag on the ground till I get the nose if the jak onto the roof bar.
Marcel
Apprentice

Post by Marcel »

shane wrote:I'm not sure of your setup but try planting the rear on the ground at an angle to the ute then lift the front around so it rests on the rear/bar. Then go to the rear of the yak and lift and slide it up. This way the rear doesn't get dragged. If this isn't possible with your setup then we'd need some more information on it and what you're currently doing.
I will give that a try, the only thing is it will twist on the rear , but it would be better than dragging it, thanks a lot
Marcel
Apprentice

Post by Marcel »

laneends wrote:scrap of carpet or mat on the ground.

How is it mounted on ute? Do you have a rear bar over tray, or is it leant up against cab and it drags on ground as you pull it up?
Thanks mate, that's not a bad idea, have plenty of scrap at work
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

There are rack and roll loaders (google it), basically an extension to one bar. I have hollow Rhine HD bars so I jam an extension piece of timber in end to achieve same thing.. Lift one end up onto this, lift other end onto other roof bar. Then slide first end across. Eliminates the dragging on ground. I flip upside down first. If on hard surface just put a pad (even if its only a croc or your seat/jumper/rag) under one end as you lift fist end.
Marcel
Apprentice

Post by Marcel »

laneends wrote:There are rack and roll loaders (google it), basically an extension to one bar. I have hollow Rhine HD bars so I jam an extension piece of timber in end to achieve same thing.. Lift one end up onto this, lift other end onto other roof bar. Then slide first end across. Eliminates the dragging on ground. I flip upside down first. If on hard surface just put a pad (even if its only a croc or your seat/jumper/rag) under one end as you lift fist end.
Good advice mate I have looked them up and seem a good idea!
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

I would always use a old towel under the bottom of the kayak while lifting up onto the roof rack.
Works fine or just try and park near grass or soft dirt/sand.
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

I glued a piece of yellow tongue plastic strip on the keel ,(you know the yellow plastic strip that joins chipboard flooring together ) even stuck a piece under the bow. Just use liquid nails and tape it in place till it dries. Heat up with a gas torch or the like to make it easier to bend if you want to wrap it up the back. just make sure you taper of the leading ends and fill around the edges with liquid nail otherwise when your line runs under your hull it will catch in between the plastic strip and hull. Works a treat. :thumbsup:
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411