torquay yak dive added video.

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Re: torquay yak dive added video.

Post by vikodin »

Great video, thanks :lol:
watching your vids saves me getting wet and cold :lol:
But like cruiser said I'll swap any fish for a cray right now, congrats on your first of many :thumbsup:
dilwad
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Oasis

Post by dilwad »

Great vid and top effort on the crays! The devils look great when you get the torch on them.

Destination Blue on c31 did a good episode on chasing rock ling and I think they covered how to pick between a ling and a conga eel when your in ledge country like that.

I've heard theories that the sand/sediment is much finer on the bellarine side, so even though the swells are often smaller there, you need a few days to calm it down for good vis. Or it doesn't much to stir it back up again.

I got an Oasis so I can always take a dive buddy, you should always dive with one, shallow water blackout even kills pro freedivers etc etc.

Do you mostly dive local area, or travel further afield? I'd be keen for a dive, but tend to favour mornington peninsula or further east

Are you on the SFD forum? That's a great place to find dive buddies, though the cooler water temps thin the numbers of willing dive buddies.
joffarob
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14 Dune

Post by joffarob »

Great video leigh, thanks for posting, cheers
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

I'm afraid my lungs are not what they used to be after years of abuse so to stay under for any length of time tanks it is, I do love to snorkel as well and am looking forward to blooding my spear gun. Great video mate look forward to posting more here myself. Cheers Merv.[/quote]yeah I will have to spend some time in shallow practicing getting in and out with all the gear on.

Look forward to doing a yak dive.
You will find the fins help a lot with re entry.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Grouse vid.
blinky
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback

Post by blinky »

I'm glad people are liking the vids. I enjoy making them.
I dont like to dive alone. i certainly prefer the added safety of a dive buddy. however sometimes i just cant stay away because of lack of dive buddy. the draw of a good dive sometimes outweighs the heightened risk factor. I know the risks are very high if something goes wrong out there and im alone. that being said people sometimes are inclined to push themselves further than normal because they have company. sadly with shallow water blackout people commonly die with buddies nearby. the nature of SWB you float to the surface face down and from the surface it just looks like your resting up for another dive. As is often the case with vis in our waters you could be 10 meters away from your dive bud and not see they're in trouble. knowing your limits and listening to your body is key to safe diving. I dont rely on others for my safety. Looking for crays is good for pairing up closely with a dive buddy. When it comes to hunting fish that require you to be very quiet and remain motionless on the bottom or stalking fish, a second person hanging around watching will often spook the fish.
Basicaly if you want to push the limits you should do it in a very controlled environment with people watching and ready to act if things go wrong.
blinky

Post by blinky »

dilwad wrote: Do you mostly dive local area, or travel further afield? I'd be keen for a dive, but tend to favour mornington peninsula or further east

Are you on the SFD forum? That's a great place to find dive buddies, though the cooler water temps thin the numbers of willing dive buddies.
hi dilwad. I really only dive the west side. Anywhere from corio bay around to queenscliff and of course the wild westcoast as far as peterborough. i've only dived from the yak a handful of times. mostly shore dives when i spearfish.
I used to get on SFD when i first got into spearing. I was lucky enough to meet a few good people on there who were willing to show me the ropes. Its a pitty they operate mostly on the east side. just too far to go for me and i'm not into spearing comps. I have been watching brett illingworth videos on utube lately.
dilwad
Apprentice

Post by dilwad »

Shipwreck Coast Skindivers are the west coast competitive club, they have a fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/188565124628010/ dunno bout a forum

Next weekend is shaping up to look decent (until I just wrecked it), if you where yak/diving again where would you go?

Interestingly there are looking at putting an artificial reef in at tourquay. 20-30m depth though. Did that one at altona ever go in?
dilwad
Apprentice

Post by dilwad »

blinky wrote:I have been watching brett illingworth videos on utube lately.
It's too bad the glennie islands are a touch too far for an outback / oasis.

Coincidently, I was down the prom with work mates before easter and snuck in bit of a yak dive. Afterwards, one of the rangers came round and had a yarn, turns out he yakfishs around there in his outback. Good gig that
blinky

Post by blinky »

bit far away to say. swell forecast is saying 3 to 4 foot till thursday at least. winds look very good though. launching a yak on the coast is the tricky part cos of swell. the outback is a pig in swell