Hobie Mirage Fishing Kayak Guide

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Re: Hobie Mirage Fishing Kayak Guide

Post by Jay »

shane wrote:With the mirage drive there is enough torque to penetrate into very strong winds (25kt+) even in the PA, whereas paddling you would be going backwards.
25kn+ ?? That's not conditions a kayak should be out in regardless, in my opinion... unless you are super fit and super confident in your abilities...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Fish4Fun wrote:
shane wrote:With the mirage drive there is enough torque to penetrate into very strong winds (25kt+) even in the PA, whereas paddling you would be going backwards.
25kn+ ?? That's not conditions a kayak should be out in regardless, in my opinion... unless you are super fit and super confident in your abilities...
Shouldn't, but it can happen. Anything can happen
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

Sometimes yes, but most of the time you can get an accurate weather report. From time to time freak weather comes through but mainly, we have a fairly good idea of conditions before we head out.

25kn in a boat would be hard work, let alone a yak
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Fish4Fun wrote:Sometimes yes, but most of the time you can get an accurate weather report. From time to time freak weather comes through but mainly, we have a fairly good idea of conditions before we head out.

25kn in a boat would be hard work, let alone a yak
That day was one the forecasters got wrong. I was out about 3-4 k's and noticed the northerly getting up above 10kt when it was meant to stay below for several hours. I xecided to cut the trip short and head in. By the time I got close to the beach it was getting up to the 25kt. Thankfully I was in shallow and just had to push into the wind from south of the point to get back to the launch at Ricketts. If I was a long way off shore still it would have been very concerning. I'd only raised that day in a discussion about keeping a PA steered straight in very strong winds.
0408 565 763
Macey
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Generic 12 foot paddle yak terrapin xl

Post by Macey »

So having read the article from page 1 of this post, it seems that if I wished to get a hobie that would be a replacement for my midway which is 4.4 m by 65cm with 23kg weight I'd be looking at either a revo 13 or 16.

Both look as if they would be more than comparable speed wise, I'm assuming that using legs would make them even more efficient than my current boat?

The increased width in comparison to the 65 cm on the midway would probably make for a slightly more stable experience at anchor or pulling in a fish I'd guess?
I watched a YouTube vid which showed a outback vs a revo 14 when the girl in the video was sitting sideways on the revo and rocking backwards and forwards it was definitely heaps more stable than my current ride........when a snag suddenly let go earlier I almost went over backwards.

It seems to have way more effective storage than my current yak as well......I like fairly minimal and I don't intend to do multi rod adventures but being able to actually have somewhere to put stuff would be cool and being able to turn around to reach stuff in the rear well would be nice as well......

I'm not actually going to change just yet but I can see me doing so in the future......
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Macey wrote:So having read the article from page 1 of this post, it seems that if I wished to get a hobie that would be a replacement for my midway which is 4.4 m by 65cm with 23kg weight I'd be looking at either a revo 13 or 16.

Both look as if they would be more than comparable speed wise, I'm assuming that using legs would make them even more efficient than my current boat?

The increased width in comparison to the 65 cm on the midway would probably make for a slightly more stable experience at anchor or pulling in a fish I'd guess?
I watched a YouTube vid which showed a outback vs a revo 14 when the girl in the video was sitting sideways on the revo and rocking backwards and forwards it was definitely heaps more stable than my current ride........when a snag suddenly let go earlier I almost went over backwards.

It seems to have way more effective storage than my current yak as well......I like fairly minimal and I don't intend to do multi rod adventures but being able to actually have somewhere to put stuff would be cool and being able to turn around to reach stuff in the rear well would be nice as well......

I'm not actually going to change just yet but I can see me doing so in the future......
Can't beat the hobies for accessible storage. Main reason 16s (adventure) are not as common is that they are more cumbersome off water and unless you are going offshore the extra length is not as essential. Tippy feeling you get on the midway will probably be the same on they 16 as they are narrow too.

For fishos experience shows the outback as the more popular for basic stability and utility. If you want something that has more of a "kayak" feel then go the revo, especially if you fish basic as fitting out is not as easy.
Macey
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Generic 12 foot paddle yak terrapin xl

Post by Macey »

Oh my, having seen one and watching a whole lot of YouTube etc........
I really really want an adventure island!

I can paddle it and it wouldn't be terribly more difficult to load etc onto the ute than my current yak (only 60 cm longer) so could still do the last minute decision to head out

I could peddle it, I could go off shore, I could go out in fast tides on WPB
I could add 1 or 2 amas for stability if I wanted.
I could sail it.........
I want an AI