What scuba gear to buy?

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

What scuba gear to buy?

Post by SurfanFish »

Just having a poke around, it looks like a few more divers about here now. I've just had a look at the 'What gear do you have thread' and am in the market for a new wetsuit, regs and BCD so interested in opinions and suggestions before I start talking to dive shops. My old airdive gear is past it and hasn't been used in 12 odd years.

I've been thinking a 5mm suit of some sort (maybe semi dry) that I can use lavacore or similar under when its cold but open to other thoughts. No idea where to start with regs, gauges and BCD yet. I won't be going beyond 30m and not planning on any Tec diving. I prefer a traditional belt to integrated.

Looking for a simple, reliable cold water rig that is inexpensive to service. Budget is really about a common sense choice rather than the cheapest in town.

thanks

Rob
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Re: What scuba gear to buy?

Post by yakhangger »

Rob I looked around ebay for some of my gear, got given some, and even got some off here....I know that Harbour Dive have a deal where you can get all new stuff and pay it off over 12 months interest free if you want to go down that line. I only have a 5mm wetty and have been diving all over winter with no worries, I guess it depends on what your cold threshold is :wtf: :wtf: I also know where you can get a 18lt tank from, but I hope your built like a wrestler cos that thing is freckin HUGE :lol: :lol: Good luck with it mate and with luck we can one day go for a dive. Cheers Merv.
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I am using a 5mm semi dry and use it all year. I can layer up underneath it when it is really cold, wear thick gloves a hood and thick booties - keeps me warm. During summer it is no hood, no gloves and thin booties.

I would be looking for second hand gear - there is a bit around that only gets used a few times over a couple years then gets sold at good prices.

Divers Supplies in Braeside used to do a great price, but I haven;t been there for a while.

It also doesn't hurt to buy local from a dive shop you may be frequenting for tank fills, nothing wrong with shopping locally either.

My US divers Gear is about 20 years old now (at least) and stil working flawlessly. It gets serviced most years :roll:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

Thanks both. I've expected that the newer 5mm is better for warmth and flexibility than the old 7mm gear I used to dive in. Its certainly like that with surfing wetsuits.

My old airdive gear was second hand when I bought it but it was commercial grade and I used to have it serviced by airdive. I know a lot of gear gets 15-20 dives, left in cupboards for a few years then sold but if it hasn't been cleaned and stored properly it's not worth it. I have experienced equipment failure using borrowed gear at depth and it 'aint fun.

I'd be open to some gear with a service history sold through a dive shop but most of that goes fairly quickly to students and club members.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

I still use my Oceanic reg and Scubapro BC that are more than 20 years old.
I agree with Mav that you can get some good 2nd hand gear at a reasonable price.

I also still use an old US divers 7mm prosuit long john & top with hood which I had "taken out" about 10 years ago.
I think the 5mm semi dry are more versatile for yak diving in Melb.
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

Done a bit more poking around and found a couple of qualified techs buying, servicing and on selling gear so 2nd hand might be an option.