SL fishfinder installation kit value?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
esoxfly
Apprentice
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

SL fishfinder installation kit value?

Post by esoxfly »

Hi folks,

I got a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI for my birthday recently & want to fit it to my Kingfisher.

I've been looking at batteries and mounting techniques.
My questions is- does the Scott Lovig installation kit represent good value for money at $149?

http://slhobie.com.au/gear/sounders-gps ... ion-kit-ii

It comes with a waterproof battery and fittings. Not having to muck about making a waterproof box etc is appealing.

Any advice of experience would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Chris
tonystott
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Re: SL fishfinder installation kit value?

Post by tonystott »

I am unaware of alternatives, but I can say that the kit works very well, and I have not had any issues with my installation in mid 2012.
2012 Hobie Tandem Island
"SIC EM"
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

The charger looks like the type that does not indicate when it is fully charged or switch off when the battery reaches capacity. I had problems with that type of charger killing a battery.

The deal does not look inexpensive to me.

I found an Oz Charge 6/12V 1A charger/maintainer at Bias Boating for $60. It seems Bias are no longer selling a lot of stuff and redirect to
http://www.boatingandrv.com.au/
A search of that site brings up (expensive but well regarded) C-Tek chargers. They don't list Oz Charge as one of their brands.
Maybe try a dealer search here:
http://www.ozcharge.com.au/ozcharge-dealers.html

My 7AH battery came from the local ships chandler $30
The rest of the parts would not bring the price up to $149. However, there is more to good value than price. Hobie usually sell quality items. I have no doubt your Hobie retailer would back any warranty. If something failed in the warranty period or close to it, you'd be in and out the door with a new or repaired item with minimal inconvenience. Depending on your dealer and whether you bought a new Hobie and FF from them, they may even do the installation gratis.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
esoxfly
Apprentice

Post by esoxfly »

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your advice/comments.

Have a great Christmas!

Cheers,
Chris
Daniel
Apprentice
kayak: Pro Angler 12

Post by Daniel »

Does anybody know if you can get those waterproof terminal covers for the battery seperatly??
Dan.
nath86
Apprentice
kayak: Outback 2015

Post by nath86 »

i have to agree with steve.
Steve_R wrote:However, there is more to good value than price. Hobie usually sell quality items. I have no doubt your Hobie retailer would back any warranty. If something failed in the warranty period or close to it, you'd be in and out the door with a new or repaired item with minimal inconvenience. Depending on your dealer and whether you bought a new Hobie and FF from them, they may even do the installation gratis.
i got my outback fittered out there very good quality. had a manufacturing fault took it back to scott. instead of waiting for a replacment from hobie cat aus he did it out of his stock then got them to reinburse him. no questions no hassle, wasnt great that i had a fualt but they did all they can from there end to minimize the hassle.
esoxfly
Apprentice

Post by esoxfly »

Thanks. I went for the lazy (and probably more expensive) option and bought the kit from SL Hobie. All components and battery seem good quality and the foam block for the battery is really secure. Did the installation myself (in my Kingfisher) and all seems to be fine so far. :up:
Having said that, it's all holding up well and in good order....... sitting in the cellar rather than on the water :(
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

I thought I would slowly drag myself into the 21st century and I got myself a lowrance x4 a couple of weeks ago as well. I am planning to install it myself without the kit as I have a bit of foam around and planning to use some neutral cure silicone to bed the transducer in. I have a couple of old 7ah sealed lead acid batteries that I charge with a normal car battery charger and am planning to use one of these.
How do these batteries react in the case that they into contact with water. (apologies my question mark does not work on this keyboard!)
With the rubber grommet kit that you can also purchase from slh is there one or two in there that can be used for passing and sealing the cables through the hull.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Fish Grylls wrote:I thought I would slowly drag myself into the 21st century and I got myself a lowrance x4 a couple of weeks ago as well. I am planning to install it myself without the kit as I have a bit of foam around and planning to use some neutral cure silicone to bed the transducer in. I have a couple of old 7ah sealed lead acid batteries that I charge with a normal car battery charger and am planning to use one of these.
How do these batteries react in the case that they into contact with water. (apologies my question mark does not work on this keyboard!)
With the rubber grommet kit that you can also purchase from slh is there one or two in there that can be used for passing and sealing the cables through the hull.
Fish Grylls, the Hobie thru hull wiring kit has 2 bungs for different thickness wires and multiple wires....well worth the $22 http://slhobie.com.au/gear/sounders-gps ... wiring-kit
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm