Anchor Set Up & Retrieval.

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Anchor Set Up & Retrieval.

Post by maverick »

The first thing to do is attach the anchor using zip ties to secure the anchor in the correct position. This is done so that if the anchor gets stuck, by jerking hard on the line, the zip tie breaks and the anchor pulls out backwards. I use very small zip ties so they are easy to break and I carry a spare pack on the yak. If you can use fishing line as an alternative to a zip tie in an emergency. I also zip tie my knots and put a mouse in the shackle (securing the shackle pin through the eye hole - in this case a zip tie).
anchor attachments.jpg
After trying different methods, when it comes to retrieving the anchor this is easiest and safest method I have found. On a nice day with no wind or tide, anchor retrieval is relatively simple. But when the wind picks up or the tide runs hard, or in the case of a big fish it is good to be able to retrieve the anchor quickly or else release the yak from the anchor and come back and pick it up later. I clip the anchor line to the anchor trolley on a loop about 1 m from the end. I then attach a milk carton, with high viz tape around it, on the very end of the anchor line. What this means is that in an emergency/rush/big fish - I grab the milk carton, pull the line and unclip the anchor line. It saves trying to pull the yak back using the trolley only. I can then either drop the milk carton and chase the fish or else drop the carton and re-position the kayak so that it is facing into the wind/tide and safely pull up the anchor, rather than being beam onto the wide/tide.
anchor line clipped on.
anchor line clipped on.
anchor line deployed on the anchor trolley
anchor line deployed on the anchor trolley
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Anchor Set Up & Retrieval.

Post by laneends »

Few questions
Whats the reason for mousing the connection, and do you think a swivel to chain is necc?

Is you anchor rope a fixed length that is fully deployed each time?

If trolley is down the back is bottle still on board, and if so does it ever fall over board so you have to pull trolley anyway? Does that extra bit of line to the bottle ever tangle with other gera when you want to quickly dump it.?

I have a clip on my trolley and it is important to get a sturdy one, I dont feel the hobie plastic ones are. My first trolley clip was ripped open on a strong tide out of hastings once and so I was left with no trolley to retreive anchor. It wasn't best situation as I struggled to even stay 45degrees to flow. In fact all anchoring components need to be sturdy as they will fail under extreme conditions when you can least afford it.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

I replaced the Hobie clip in my trolley with a stainless carabiner, as far as I can gather the Hobie ones seem to just be the seat clips re-purposed. I found them awkward to use and threading it onto the anchor trolley in the first place was a pita.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

The three videos on this link run through just about everything you might need to know about anchoring. You don't need to follow it exactly but it covers the basics and reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8856213A68

IMO, he makes the fast release more complex than it needs to be. For example

Anchor tied to cord (use cable tie method); cord to reel (dive reel is a great gadget but any reel that can be fixed after releasing the desired amount of line is OK); reel tied to float; float tied to second cord; second cord tied to anchor trolley using a slip knot; loose end of slip knot tucked away near your seat.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

laneends wrote:Few questions
Whats the reason for mousing the connection, and do you think a swivel to chain is necc?

Is you anchor rope a fixed length that is fully deployed each time?

If trolley is down the back is bottle still on board, and if so does it ever fall over board so you have to pull trolley anyway? Does that extra bit of line to the bottle ever tangle with other gera when you want to quickly dump it.?

I have a clip on my trolley and it is important to get a sturdy one, I dont feel the hobie plastic ones are. My first trolley clip was ripped open on a strong tide out of hastings once and so I was left with no trolley to retrieve anchor. It wasn't best situation as I struggled to even stay 45degrees to flow. In fact all anchoring components need to be sturdy as they will fail under extreme conditions when you can least afford it.
Mousing the shackle stops the pin accidentally coming undone. Yes to the swivel, tried it without and the swivel reduces line twist.

I have 2 anchor lines, about 15 metres each. If I know I am fishing shallow I will just use one length. If I need a shorter length, I just tie a loop in the line and use that for the trolley to hook to. The surplus line just sits with the bottle.

Yes If the trolley is down the back, the bottle is still on board. If the bottle falls over, the tide or wind bring it along the side of the yak, so no I don't need to pull the trolley in. No it has never tangled.

My SLH trolley came with a stainless clip.

The exact reason I was showing a quick way to release the anchor - getting side on or even 45* on to a strong tide can be dangerous. It is surprising how quickly you the yak can be tipped. I find it safer to dump the anchor and then pedal back straight into the tide ad retrieve the anchor.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I think also when hauling on a sticky anchor it is safer if you are pulling back toward the seat, even at 45 degrees once it suddenly lets go it is easy to tip over backward.

Goes without saying test the cable ties for ability to break, you dont have as much leverage on a yak as when your feet are firmly planted on the ground

Eoin with those hobie seat clips i have had the metal lever part of the clip come out, so wouldn't trust them with the force of an anchor.
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

When retrieving the anchor in rough or windy conditions, I simply use the anchor trolley to bring the anchored position from the stern to the bow allowing the kayak to swing around until I'm facing the anchor.
Then you just pedal towards the anchor and gather up the slack rope as you go. It's then just a straight pull up of the anchor to you while you are facing into the weather.
I fish quite choppy conditions during snapper season both day and night and this method I find the safest.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote: Eoin with those Hobie seat clips i have had the metal lever part of the clip come out, so wouldn't trust them with the force of an anchor.
Yeah I don't trust them either, that's why I changed it out for the carabiner. That's what Hobie are supplying though in their anchor trolley kit. I figured that when they are used as a seat clip the pressure is all on the curved part of the clip but when used as an anchor clip in sloppy conditions the rope would be moving and transferring the pressure to different parts of the clip.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

sog wrote:When retrieving the anchor in rough or windy conditions, I simply use the anchor trolley to bring the anchored position from the stern to the bow allowing the kayak to swing around until I'm facing the anchor.
Then you just pedal towards the anchor and gather up the slack rope as you go. It's then just a straight pull up of the anchor to you while you are facing into the weather.
I fish quite choppy conditions during snapper season both day and night and this method I find the safest.
Quite a few yaks are rigged with an anchor trolley that only goes to the rear.

I also like ot dump the anchor if I hook a good fish, then come back and get the anchor later.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

maverick wrote:
sog wrote:When retrieving the anchor in rough or windy conditions, I simply use the anchor trolley to bring the anchored position from the stern to the bow allowing the kayak to swing around until I'm facing the anchor.
Quite a few yaks are rigged with an anchor trolley that only goes to the rear.

I also like ot dump the anchor if I hook a good fish, then come back and get the anchor later.
9 times out of 10 when anchored up with the AI off shore I release the rope etc then do a 360 degree turn to come back on it and whind it in while pedaling ,this is much safer and easier in swell and windy conditions
mob 0423 492 759