First yak.

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Reece11d
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie outback

First yak.

Post by Reece11d »

Hey there, I was just wondering about some of the wavedance yaks.. Most people here have or have had a kingfisher. From my understanding they are fairly fast and stable? And good value for money? My question is has anyone tried a game fisher or extreme hunter? And what are their pros and cons? I like the look of the gamefisher (stability wise). And having the shorter yak would be helpful in thinner rivers but less stable in bays? As this thread title says "first yak" I'm only guessing here! :shifty:

I plan on fishing rivers and lakes and once I'm more confident in bays too. I plan on using plastics and lures while drifting. I'm a guy around 6 foot and about 98 kilos.

I like the sound of the wavedance yaks as the are within my price range and they seem well fitted out for that price. I am open for other options and opinions. :up:
PB's
Flathead 51cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 40cm.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: First yak.

Post by laneends »

Better to go too big than too small, then you won't get caught out. If you are likely to be scraping though mild rapids forget kingfisher as keel will tend to tip it if it bottoms out.

I would suggest don't go shorter than 11foot though
Reece11d
Apprentice

Post by Reece11d »

laneends wrote:Better to go too big than too small, then you won't get caught out. If you are likely to be scraping though mild rapids forget kingfisher as keel will tend to tip it if it bottoms out.

I would suggest don't go shorter than 11foot though
Cheers for the reply leneends.
PB's
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by RayS »

Think you'd find the Exteme and Game Fisher far to short for you to be comfortable in mate. The Kingy would be fine in most rivers (sans Rapids as laneends has said) and when you do gain the confidence it will be great in the bays. If there is a drawback with the Kingy, it's easily accessible storage for use whilst out on the water, but I get around that by traveling fairly light anyway. You'd pick one up, new, for around the 800 mark. If I were buying again at the moment, I'd also have a closer look at the AquaYak Ranger. They look the goods too, and the price is in the same ballpark and usually has more inclusions than the Kingy.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
Reece11d
Apprentice

Post by Reece11d »

RayS wrote:Think you'd find the Exteme and Game Fisher far to short for you to be comfortable in mate. The Kingy would be fine in most rivers (sans Rapids as laneends has said) and when you do gain the confidence it will be great in the bays. If there is a drawback with the Kingy, it's easily accessible storage for use whilst out on the water, but I get around that by traveling fairly light anyway. You'd pick one up, new, for around the 800 mark. If I were buying again at the moment, I'd also have a closer look at the AquaYak Ranger. They look the goods too, and the price is in the same ballpark and usually has more inclusions than the Kingy.
I like the look and everything about the aquayak ranger but I'm already stretching my budget at 800 after a few weeks off of work!! and the ranger is a little more $ than the kingfisher.. I'll just have to dip into my savings :P or wait for a second hand yak to come along! Thanks for the reply Ray! I'll keep saving until I have a little more money behind me.. Until then I'm still open to other brands and ideas..
PB's
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

One of the members here ,mustafa, has a kingfisher for sale. Might be worth looking Into
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Forget the buy sell upgrade buy sell upgrade, just go straight to a Hobie. :lol:

Yeah yeah I know, price. Works out cheaper I reckon though.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Reece11d
Apprentice

Post by Reece11d »

Thanks choppers! I might PM Mustafa soon! I will keep looking around for time being but great to know.

Haha maverick, I would love a hobie! But you guessed it! Money is tight right now! I got a ticket in Tuesdays 20 mill oz loto so who knows :up: *fingers crossed*
PB's
Reece11d
Apprentice

Post by Reece11d »

maverick wrote:Forget the buy sell upgrade buy sell upgrade, just go straight to a Hobie. :lol:

Yeah yeah I know, price. Works out cheaper I reckon though.

I took your advice Maverick and saved up for a second hand 2013 outback :yahoo:
PB's