DEPTH SOUNDER ON A KAYAK

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Tman
Apprentice
kayak: None

DEPTH SOUNDER ON A KAYAK

Post by Tman »

Hi guys this may be a stupid question , but as a fisho that's fished from boats all my life , I've always looked after my sounder ( kept it dry and so on)
what happens to the sounder (seeing it's usually exposed ) when a there is sea spray or worse still when the kayak is turned over ?
greenhorn
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Aquayak Snapper

Re: DEPTH SOUNDER ON A KAYAK

Post by greenhorn »

Most depth finders are waterproof/splash proof to an extent.
The main issues people on kayaks have is either due to water ingress through the card slots or corrosion on the connections.
You can either silicone/grease the card slot or get a depth finder without GPS to avoid that one.
With connections you can either make sure they dry out completely/inox or if they have good waterproof seals between the cables and head unit just leave it connected and have the whole unit including transducer/head unit/battery removable (cup holder mount etc)

My suggestion is to use the search function to see what others have done.
A few of the major manufacturers are pretty good when it comes to warranty returns on damaged head units due to water as most are rated to be for the most part waterproof but best to be safe than sorry.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

They're all meant to be waterproof and generally hold up well to general splashing and rain etc. However they are still known to fail, particularly after being immerssed in a tip-over. On the recent South West Rocks trip we lost 3 sounders between the 7 of us due to failure, mainly due to water ingress.
0408 565 763
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

shane wrote:They're all meant to be waterproof and generally hold up well to general splashing and rain etc. However they are still known to fail, particularly after being immerssed in a tip-over. On the recent South West Rocks trip we lost 3 sounders between the 7 of us due to failure, mainly due to water ingress.
Are they covered by warranty when this happens?
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Tman
Apprentice

Post by Tman »

hammertym wrote:
shane wrote:They're all meant to be waterproof and generally hold up well to general splashing and rain etc. However they are still known to fail, particularly after being immerssed in a tip-over. On the recent South West Rocks trip we lost 3 sounders between the 7 of us due to failure, mainly due to water ingress.
That was my question as well , are they covered ( Im thinking that they may not be as they are not made for kayaking specifically hence voiding the warranty?.
Is there a sounder that is made specifically for kayaking ,marketed for kayaks?
Cheers
Last edited by Tman on 28 Jan 2015, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Tman wrote:
hammertym wrote:
That was my qustion as well , are they covered ( Im thinking that they may not be as they are not made for kayaking specifically hence voiding the warranty?.
Cheers
If within the warranty period they are covered by warranty. These sounders are sold as being waterproof and are made for kayaks as well as boats. Cheaters Elite 5 HDI had previously been replaced under warranty and the unit that failed at SWR should be as well. David's sounder was the same and is relatively new so should be able to replaced under warranty. My Echo 300C was on it's last legs anyway and just died with all the rain etc, I'll just buy an upgrade.
0408 565 763
Tman
Apprentice

Post by Tman »

Are they covered by warranty when this happens?[/quote]
That was my qustion as well , are they covered ( Im thinking that they may not be as they are not made for kayaking specifically hence voiding the warranty?.
Cheers[/quote]

If within the warranty period they are covered by warranty. These sounders are sold as being waterproof and are made for kayaks as well as boats. Cheaters Elite 5 HDI had previously been replaced under warranty and the unit that failed at SWR should be as well. David's sounder was the same and is relatively new so should be able to replaced under warranty. My Echo 300C was on it's last legs anyway and just died with all the rain etc, I'll just buy an upgrade.[/quote]

Is there a protective case of some sort available on the market , like an I phone water proof case ?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:If within the warranty period they are covered by warranty. These sounders are sold as being waterproof and are made for kayaks as well as boats. Cheaters Elite 5 HDI had previously been replaced under warranty and the unit that failed at SWR should be as well. David's sounder was the same and is relatively new so should be able to replaced under warranty. My Echo 300C was on it's last legs anyway and just died with all the rain etc, I'll just buy an upgrade.
Correct my lowrance Elite 5 HDI was replaced after 3 months from new it had water ingress - this unit had not been under water as such but plenty comes over the top , this unit had water inside the Nav card slot
at SWRs it died and again had not been tipped over this time I had grease in the card slot but water had got inside again , as it's still under warranty it has been sent back
at SWRs I bought another Lowrance but an elite 4 HDI and that one has been tipped over in the shore break but seams to be fine
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

cheaterparts wrote:
shane wrote:If within the warranty period they are covered by warranty. These sounders are sold as being waterproof and are made for kayaks as well as boats. Cheaters Elite 5 HDI had previously been replaced under warranty and the unit that failed at SWR should be as well. David's sounder was the same and is relatively new so should be able to replaced under warranty. My Echo 300C was on it's last legs anyway and just died with all the rain etc, I'll just buy an upgrade.
Correct my lowrance Elite 5 HDI was replaced after 3 months from new it had water ingress - this unit had not been under water as such but plenty comes over the top , this unit had water inside the Nav card slot
at SWRs it died and again had not been tipped over this time I had grease in the card slot but water had got inside again , as it's still under warranty it has been sent back
at SWRs I bought another Lowrance but an elite 4 HDI and that one has been tipped over in the shore break but seams to be fine
Thats what I'm rocking a Elite 4 HDI. I've had a few issues with it on my Lorne trip now showing up any imaging only depth and temperature. Was quite strange.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

hammertym wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
Thats what I'm rocking a Elite 4 HDI. I've had a few issues with it on my Lorne trip now showing up any imaging only depth and temperature. Was quite strange.

Mines done that a couple of times hammer, I found reconnecting the cables fixed it, not sure if it wasn't seated properly in the first place or dying.